[Journalists] update from Liz

Elizabeth Campbell liz at star-telegram.com
Thu May 7 23:08:09 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Sorry that I haven't been in contact with you on the list lately, but
things have been hectic to say the least.

We just went through another round of buyouts at the Star-Telegram,
something that is becoming far too common at newspapers today.

I did not take the buyout, choosing to stay and continue honing my skills
in areas including using social media for reporting and gathering
information and incorporating audio in to my stories.

It will be an interesting time in the next several months.

Anyway, I think it is best to remain employed and to keep plugging away so
to speak.

This brings me to my next topic which is national convention.

We won't have a formal meeting this year, but I will be in Orlando and am
happy to set up a dinner or a happy hour for those who want to talk shop,
so to speak.

Finally, I would encourage all of you to get involved in journalism
organizations if you are not already as they are great ways to network and
to learn about the brave new world of digital journalism which is something
we all  must adapt to.

I would like to have future discussions on how we can incorporate our
skills in newsrooms that are emphasizing the production of more and more
visual content such as videos, slide shows maps and interactive timelines.
These are new ways of storytelling that are becoming a must when producing
content for many platforms.

Please feel free to write with questions.

Elizabeth Campbell

general assignments reporter

(O 817-390-7696

(c) 817-247-6862