[Journalists] Interviews

Rachael Vacanti revacanti at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:13:51 UTC 2015

Hello fellow journalists!

I'm Rachael, a student studying journalism in Nebraska.  I'm in my final year of undergrad at home before I hopefully move to Ohio for graduate school.

One of the things I find most challenging as a journalist, is getting around to interviews and other different locations needed for a story.  The public transportation here is really bad and it takes forever to get anywhere.  How do I get around that?  Also, are people comfortable with a blind journalist?  So far I've had good luck, but I'm worried that it's running out and someone will eventually doubt my skills, despite my credibility.

I have one final question:  How do you refer to blind people in the media?  The Associated Press Stylebook states that the term blind is used to describe someone with complete loss of sight.  All other times, the terms visually impaired or low vision is encouraged.  That's just what the Stylebook says.  The Stylebook wasn't written by blind people.  How do we change perceptions about blind individuals?  I feel like a lot of people get offended when I use the correct AP Style when describing blind people.  I'm a bit confused about that and it's something that's always bugged me.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachael Vacanti

Rachael E. Vacanti
(402)-960-9085 (mobile)
revacanti at Hotmail.com
Newsletter Co-Editor, River City Mixed Chorus
Contributor, The Gateway
MavPRSSAA, Member