[Journalists] Community Journalism

Rachael Vacanti revacanti at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 24 15:57:19 UTC 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

Those are definitely some of the questions I want to ask. How are photos made accessible? JAWS would most likely say "graphic ...", even for the caption. Not sure, but that's my guess. What about video packages? My professor wants us to focus on the small town papers, since most newspapers in the country are actually weeklies, not dailies. Several stuff is available on Newsline or on a mobile app, but sometimes not everything. Back home in Nebraska, a smaller town close to me called Fremont isn't on Newsline. Neither are the small papers out in the panhandle of Nebraska. Some bigger papers like Lincoln Journal Star or Omaha World-Herald are, but my professor wants us focusing on small town papers.

One area that might be interesting is the local PBS stations. Legally, they have to be accessible and so often they're not. Another interesting bit is this: FWST has you and you're blind so they're able to learn and make adjustments. Several small town papers might not have a blind person even in town, much less working at the local paper. It could just be that they're not aware that this audience exists. Sad, but true. Oddly enough, my professor said that he's been teaching journalism for years - and I'm the first blind person he's had. He's had others with visual impairments, but not to the point where it's affected their ability to drive a car or things like that.

I'm definitely also interested in the technology side of it like the programs used and that statistical analysis programs as well, but that could be a whole different paper. I'm getting a lot of ideas from this, so thank you for that.

Rachael E. Vacanti
(402)-960-9085 (mobile)
revacanti at Hotmail.com<mailto:revacanti at Hotmail.com>