[Journalists] Improvements to NFB Newsline

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:43:46 UTC 2017

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for sending this note to our journalists list.
Others can weigh in as well, but the purpose of Newsline has always been to
provide blind people with free access to news and other content without
advertisements and worries about whether a particular news site is
accessible. I don't think Newsline should try to rank news in terms of its
importance or to determine the relevance of information as one can easily
see how stories are performing by going to social media sites such as
Twitter and Facebook which list trending stories.
You asked about replicating covers of publications. I am no technical
expert, but newspapers provide digital versions of their print editions in
PDF format, and Newsline needs text files in order to present information to
blind users.
The Newsline staff has worked hard over the years building relationships
with newspapers and magazines to provide their content.
One of he great features of Newsline is that one can get updated information
throughout the day with options such as the Associated Press, the New York
Times online and McClatchy D.C.
I use Newsline, and I also choose to subscribe to several newspapers
including the one I work for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the New York
Times and the Washington Post. I do so via the mobile apps. Remember that
Newsline is all about providing information to the blind so that we have
equal access to the news.

I hope this helps.