[Journalists] Blind Professional Journalists meeting reminder and agenda

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 05:35:02 UTC 2021

Hello all,
I hope everyone is ready for a great convention this year. I wanted to
remind everyone of our meeting on Wednesday, July 7 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30
p.m. eastern time.
Here is the information from the convention agenda.
12:00 - 1:30 PM—TIPS FOR BUILDING A JOURNALISM CAREER

Zoom meeting ID: 919 4139 8845 <https://zoom.us/j/91941398845>
Come join the Blind Professional Journalists Group as we discuss how we
work in an exciting, dynamic profession. Let’s exchange ideas on technology
and blindness skills to help us move forward.

I am also pasting our meeting agenda in to this message.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to email me or send a Facebook
message.

Blind Professional Journalists Meeting Agenda

Welcome and Introductions, Elizabeth Campbell, chair.

Presentation from guest speaker, Joe Grimm, Editor in residence and Bias
Busters book series editor, Michigan State University.

In a career including more than three decades in newsrooms, Joe Grimm  has
worked to improve diversity, representation and inclusion in media coverage
and on editorial staffs  across the U.S. Since leaving the Detroit Free
Press in 2008, where  he led recruiting and development for about two
decades, Grimm has taught while continuing to write and edit. In  his role
at MSU, he leads students to produce the Bias Busters series of books,
which aim to  dispel myths and stereotypes about groups of people. He was
inducted into the Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame in  2009.

Q&A following Mr. Grimm’s presentation.

Roundtable discussion among the participants. If you feel comfortable in
sharing information about yourself and whether you are working in the
journalism profession, please feel free to share.

Future Plans for the Blind Professional Journalists group. Discuss holding
workshops throughout the year providing tips and advice on using blindness
skills to further our careers. Examples include techniques for shooting
video or taking pictures.

Discuss the possibility of forming a coalition with other disabled
journalists as we are not included in companies’ diversity, inclusion and
equity discussions.

Adjourn.

--
Elizabeth Campbell