[KeystoneChapter] Research participation opportunity at Johns Hopkins University-still looking for participants!

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:16:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,
If you're a totally blind adult, please consider the research
participation opportunity below. Right now they are especially looking
for people who became blind as adults. Please share with others you
know in the community. Thanks!

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab at Johns Hopkins University is
seeking participants for an MRI research study on cognition. The
purpose of this study is to investigate how lifetime experience shapes
the human brain. We are interested in how the brain adapts to the
absence of vision. To answer this question, we use neuroimaging to
compare the
brains of individuals with different life histories, people who were
born sighted but became blind, those we were born blind and those who
are currently sighted.

Participating in this study involves coming into the laboratory for
one to three MRI scanning sessions, each lasting between one and three
hours. During the scans participants listen to stories and sounds,
feel Braille or everyday objects, and answer questions about what they
hear
and feel. Participants are compensated $30 per hour for their time.
The study takes place at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.
Travel costs to and from the study site are covered by the laboratory.

To qualify for currently ongoing studies, participants must be a
healthy totally blind adult between 18 and 75 years-of-age. To
qualify, participants must either have been born fully sighted and
become blind at some point in their life or have been born blind.

If you are interested in participating, we invite you to complete a
pre-screening interview over the phone to see whether you qualify. The
screening interview takes approximately 30 minutes. Those who complete
the screening interview receive a $15 Amazon gift card. To schedule an
interview or to learn more about the studies of the lab please contact
us by phone or email. Our phone number is 410-870-9895 and our email
address is plasticity.lab2 at gmail.com.

Thank you for taking the time to read this announcement.

Marina Bedny, Ph.D.
Director of Neuroplasticity & Development Lab
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Johns Hopkins University
http://pbs.jhu.edu/research/bedny