[Lpobc] Interesting AppleVis Article

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Thu Oct 5 15:32:42 UTC 2017

Hi everyone. I found this article courtesy of the weekly Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday newsletter-a highly-informative read. It is entitled One Gadget to Rule Them All: Why an iPhone Makes Sense as an Assistive Tool for the Blind. Please see the link below. It is a thought-provoking read as consumers, students, parents, educators, school district personnel, and state rehabilitation agencies wrestle with the realities of shrinking budgets and heightened expectations.

Though I agree with much of what the author says, there is no one-size-fits-all approach-or there shouldn't be. It is true that apps like the ones she mentions, along with KNFB Reader, have made the iPhone a powerhouse tool. I love mine. But, a variety of factors come into play when making training and purchasing decisions. Just passing it along as an FYI since I know discussions like these are on the minds of many families and practitioners. Wishing everyone a great day!

https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-assistive-technology-ios-apps-iphone-opinion/one-gadget-rule-them-all-why-iphone-makes

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: ericguillory
Skype: brllovingdad
www.louisianacenter.org<http://www.louisianacenter.org/>

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind.