[Lpobc] VI Resources

Ryan Ramagos ramagos22 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 20:27:05 UTC 2018

Eric,Good afternoon. I am not sure you would be able to help or not but it seems like you have quite a large network that you reach. I have a 6 yr old son, Hayden, that was diagnosed with ONH at 5 months old. He has since been diagnosed with Autism in the last couple years as well. The reason I am reaching out is to see if you could possible point me in the right direction or maybe have some contacts with an VI teachers/coaches. Hayden has been in the West Baton Rouge (public) school system for 3 years now and is still not receiving his VI services as he should be. I have been working hand in hand with the school board for this entire journey and we have made significant progress with his services. We currently have OT, PT, Speech, and finally an O&M coach that sees him at school multiple times a week. When it comes to the VI teacher thought, which is the most important, it seems that their is a real shortage of them in our area or maybe throughout the country. Here are the roadblocks that we have run into here recently. First, LSVI (Louisiana School for the Visual Impaired) is in Baton Rouge near our parish. They will not allow one of their many VI to travel to Hayden's school to see him in his normal setting. They said they would be more than happy to give services to Hayden if we brought him there. Long story short with this Hayden has to be comfortable in his environment to learn. Once he leaves school for the day, he leaves school for the day if you know what I mean. Also, both Leighann (mother) and myself have full time jobs where we already take plenty time off to do what is necessary for him. Second, WBR has posted numerous adds and classifieds trying to find teachers without any luck. Lastly, we found a VI in the next parish over. She is currently under contract and her superintendent will not allow her to adjust her schedule where she can work with Hayden at his school when our school boards is willing to pay for a portion of her contract. The VI has proposed a schedule to her superintendent that would not take away from her duties and it has been denied. I have requested a meeting with this superintendent through Hayden's school board and I found out today that the meeting was not accepted. I tried to keep this as short as possible. I guess I am hoping you may have some information that could help, maybe contacts, or even simple advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Concerned Parent:Ryan Ramagos

Hayden @ The Bell Academy 2017