[MABM] National Federation of the Blind of Maryland Is Asking for Your Support!

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Sat Dec 3 21:33:06 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Members and Friends,

As we complete 56 years of service to blind persons in Maryland, I am asking
for your support of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland with a
special holiday tax-deductible donation.  We accomplished a great deal this
year.  To continue our work in the coming year, we urgently need your
support.  In 2022 we:

*	Worked with members of the Maryland General Assembly to enact
legislation that strengthened accountability and enforcement related to the
accessibility of education-related technology, which is intended to ensure
that blind and other disabled students are no longer shut out of their
educations
*	.Awarded scholarships to blind college students and offered paid
internships to those seeking work experience early in their careers.
*	Provided people with diabetes and vision loss with information
managing the complications of their disease.
*	Helped blind seniors and those who lost vision recently to live
independently with adjustment to blindness training.

This summer, we served 17 Maryland children through the 15th Braille
Enrichment Literacy and Learning Academy for blind children ages 4 to 12 who
have limited vision.  Learning to read and write Braille is vital for these
children because any limited vision they may have is likely to deteriorate
as they mature into adulthood.  We engaged in significant advocacy casework
for parents, students, seniors, employees, and those who recently lost
vision in order to ensure equal access to Maryland programs and services.

Coronavirus necessitated the cancelation of most of our fundraising events.
Nonetheless, we engaged in significant work in direct response to the
pandemic.  We operated and maintained a COVID-19 Emergency Financial
Assistance Fund to help families with blind household members pay rent and
utilities, purchase groceries, and pay for medication and health services.
We advocated to ensure equal access to testing facilities, the unemployment
application portal, transportation, and virtual learning.  We hosted several
COVID-19 vaccination clinics to address barriers related to getting to
vaccination locations.

Much more remains to be done.  Your donations enable us to do more field
work to locate blind persons who need help and encouragement, so they can
live the lives they want.  Please make checks payable to NFBMD and mail to
the address below.  If you prefer, you may donate at nfbmd.org/donate using
a credit card or PayPal.  If you already made a donation this year, we thank
you again for your generous support.  Please remember, donations are welcome
at any time.

1800 Johnson Street, Suite N1

Baltimore, MD 21230

Sincerely,