[MABM] Information on Reorganizing Meeting of Baltimore County Chapter

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Thu Nov 10 13:33:03 UTC 2022

Hi Friends,

This weekend, we will be holding a reorganizing meeting for the Baltimore
County Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland.  As you
may be aware, the affiliate Board of Directors voted in January 2022 to
reorganize the chapter.  A committee of individuals have been working on
this, and we believe that we are ready to bring the chapter forward.

On Saturday, November 12, 2022 from 7 - 8:15AM, we will hold a meeting and
breakfast to formally reorganize the chapter.  All are welcome to attend the
meeting, but those wishing to vote on matters pertaining to reorganization,
including adopting the constitution, running for and voting for positions,
and otherwise being recognized to speak would have to signal their intent to
be part of the reorganization meeting.  The National Organization has given
us guidance how to do this, and it is through the payment of $1 as a
tangible signal of intent and willingness to participate.  Please bring your
$1 in cash to the meeting.  Please also be prepared to provide your contact
information at that time.

Meanwhile, we expect that some of the people interested in being involved in
the reorganizing meeting and wanting to become members of the chapter once
reorganized may not have been members of the Federation previously or may
have had membership lapse for more than two years.  Our national membership
policy calls for us to work with those interested in membership  for the
first time or after a long absence before voting them into membership.

We would be implementing these provisions a little differently in this
organizing meeting.  To that end, those who have not yet become a member of
NFB or whose membership has lapsed may join the chapter, provided the group
votes to reorganize it, on Saturday morning.

In addition, we will be holding a membership ceremony during the weekend for
anyone in Maryland who has gone through the membership process (attended at
least two Federation activities recently, sought to become a member, met
with and engaged with a membership of the chapter, division, or affiliate
membership committees, etc.)  We recognize that several individuals have
been waiting to be memberized, and we will do so in conjunction with the
convention.

Those wishing to become members of the NFB who are attending the convention
should give their name - and if not have already done so - paid their dues
to the Registration Table in the Fitzgerald North Foyer.  We will forward
your dues to your local chapter or division on your behalf.

We hope to see you on Saturday and look forward to building the Federation
with you.

Ronza Othman, President

443-426-4110

Pronouns: she, her, hers