[Mabs] Study Tips

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:21:50 UTC 2011

Hi.

I have the same problems when taking notes off of audio.  Maybe you
could try taking notes as you listen.  This is what I have to do in
order to stay awake.  I have jaws in one ear and I have my stream next
to me.  I've actually gotten to the point where I can write notes as
the narrator is reading the textbook to me.  RFB&D books are very
slow, so I find that I only have to pause the book occasionally to
finish writing something.

Now I've been told by others that this strategy doesn't work for
them...  But it has always served me well.  In this way I actually
prefer using audio books when compared to braille books because when
using a braille book, I need to stop occasionally and take notes.
With the audio, I can just breeze along.

If you are assigned a chapter to read, take notes on that
chapter--good notes, and then you can just use your notes to study
rather than going through the entire book again when it is time for
the final.

Spelling is a pain.  Using google can help along with a dictionary.  I
always find myself misspelling the names of composers, so google is my
friend for that.  If you are taking notes and don't know how to spell
a term, spellcheck will sometimes help, but google has always been my
best tool for that.

Good luck!