[MABS] Just wanting to introduce myself!

Terri Stimmel icecreamlover76 at outlook.com
Wed Mar 22 04:00:52 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

My name is Terri, and I just joined this list. I wanted to join, because
I have a lot of questions. But also, I hope to get to know some people.
And offer suggestions, and support where I can.

Just to tell you a bit about myself, I am almost 47. I will turn 47 in
May. I live in the Jefferson county area, here in Missouri, with my
supportive, loving boyfriend, and my awesome cat. LOL!

We have been living where we are now, going on three years. We love
where we live. But of course our biggest issue is transportation. We
have considered moving a few times.

However, we have a great landlord, which can be difficult to come buy.
Plus, our place is pretty affordable. Which can also be hard to come by.

I am about to start attending Jefferson college in the fall, if all goes
as planned. Things are still being worked out. I have been filling out a
lot of forms, and learning a whole new level of patience. I am
definitely playing the hurry up and wait game.

I am wanting to major in social work. I have several concerns about
this. The least of which is my age. Although, this does concern me greatly.

However, I am very concerned that once I finish school, it might be very
difficult for me to find a job. I know I really don't even need to
probably concern myself with all of that right now. But honestly, it is
difficult to not worry about.

I worry that my being totally blind, and my age, will most likely put me
at a pretty big disadvantage. I am trying to stay positive, and stay the
course. But some days it is much easier to do than other days.

So far, I have gotten a vocational rehab counselor. I have also applied
for financial aid. So I am hoping to hear from the college soon,
regarding this. From what I read, this seems to be how it works.

Everything has been submitted to the college. Also, I just had my
accommodations meeting with disability services, yesterday. So things
are moving along.

I have attended college before. But it was back in 2004, and only for a
year. As well as in another state.

So I feel as though I know very little. I am trying to make sure that
everything that needs to be done, will get done. I don't want anything
to get in my way of starting school in the fall, as planned. As I
mentioned, I do have a few questions.

I feel like the college I am attending is more used to working with
people who might have disabilities such as, learning disabilities, or
cognitive delays. I just feel this way, due to some of the
accommodations they were recommending.

For example, it was suggested that for the first few weeks I have
someone attend college with me, to show me how to get to my classes, and
to help me with my schedule. Things of that nature.

However, I have decent mobility skills. Once I have some practice
getting to my classes, I will be fine. I have discussed with my rehab
counselor that I do want mobility training. So this is something that is
being worked on.

What are some things I can do to make sure I get what I need?

How do I go about this, without seeming rude, or ugly? But also, not
making things more difficult for myself, down the road?

I will admit that I struggle to be my own advocate at times. But this is
something that I am trying to improve on. I want to make sure that I
have what I need, in order to succeed.

Also, what are some ways you all go about getting notes taken in class?

I have the option to let the disability services know when I need notes
taken. Then they reach out to the professors, and ask if anyone in their
class might be willing to share their notes. If so, the notes are then
sent to the disability services, and then to me.

Also, how do you all go about taking your tests?

Are you able to get them in Braille? At least, those of you who read
Braille?

Or do you have to have your tests read to you?

The lady I spoke with at disability services, is looking into seeing if
she can get my tests in Braille. But my rehab counselor told her that
this likely wasn't possible.

Also, how have you all dealt with your classes, when it comes to math?

How were you all successful?

Math is not at all a strong point for me. I do not know how well this is
going to work out. I am definitely concerned. But I will at least have
two math classes. Possibly three, depending on where I have to start at.

I don't think having my math books in an audio format would work for me.
I am also concerned about being able to get some of the concepts.

I have more questions. But I feel I have made this message pretty long
already. So I will close for now.

Thank you to all who read this, and to those who might respond. I look
forward to being a part of this group.

Thank you,

Terri