[Massachusetts-NFB] NFB of MA Parents of Blind Children Division December Meeting Minutes

Liz Lesperance liz.karsok at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 21:04:00 UTC 2022

The MA Parents of Blind Children Division (a.k.a. the Blind Parents
Division) held their December meeting on Thursday, Dec. 1st. The meeting
started at 6:04PM.

Those in attendance included

Stephanie Valdes

Hai Nguyen Ly

Liz Lesperance

We were also joined by Justin and Chris from the NFB Massachusetts
Association of Blind Students.

Everyone gave a brief introduction to the group.

Hai's son proudly read us the NFB pledge.

We approved the November meeting minutes.

Regarding the treasury, we will need to talk to the affiliate treasurer and
let him know the dues are going into the affiliate account. We need to
confirm where and how to pay the dues. Liz will need to keep a record of
what money gets placed into the affiliate account. This division’s dues
will be $5.

***Update: Liz reached out to Kobena who confirmed dues can be made via
PayPal to the affiliate account. We will go over payment procedures for
2023 in our meeting in January. If this method is chosen, please indicate
when making the payment that the dues are for the parents division and also
please email Liz at liz.karsok at gmail.com so we can start to tally our
funds. Those who wish to pay in cash can do so in person at the state
convention and the account will be reconciled.***

We then discussed holding an IEP discussion during an upcoming Thursday
night hangout. Justin mentioned that Gabriel from the national office
shared a similar presentation. Stephanie noted that she would like the
presentation to be open to schools. We felt that for this hour-long
discussion three panelists would be appropriate, and it would be nice to
hear from both an IEP profession as well as a student. Justin will reach
out to his contact who is the President of the Georgia Parents Division. We
will also need to ensure that any information shared is compliant with both
state and federal regulations surrounding IEPs. Stephanie suggested holding
the event during the Thursday virtual meeting which is part of the state
convention kickoff in early March.

Our next meeting will be held via zoom on Thursday Jan. 5th at 6PM.

The meeting ended at 6:47PM.