[Massachusetts-NFB] November Parents Division Meeting Minutes

Liz Lesperance liz.karsok at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:32:13 UTC 2022

Good Morning,

The NFB of MA Parents Division meets on the first Thursday of every month
via zoom. Our group aims to share parenting techniques and support
the legal right to parent regardless of degree of sight. Please don't
hesitate to join us at an upcoming meeting if this group is of interest to
you.

Pasted below please find the minutes from our November meeting held
yesterday, Nov. 3rd.

Have a great weekend!

Best,
Liz

The NFB of MA Parents' Division held their November monthly meeting on
Thursday, Nov. 3rd. Those in attendance included:

Youme Nguyen Ly

Hai Nguyen Ly

Brian Switzer

Stephanie Valdes

Shara Winton

Liz Lesperance

The meeting began at 6:08PM

liz recited the NFB pledge.

Hai read aloud the October meeting minutes and made a motion to approve the
minutes. Youme seconded.

Stephanie discussed our initiative to have a Thursday night hangout
organized around IEP's.

Youme informed us she ran into her local legislator Senator Joanne
Comerford and mentioned that our group is interested in creating a Parents
Rights Bill in MA. Senator Comerford shared that January 20th is considered
a "timely filing" date for prospective bills. Stephanie noted that we are
likely on target to submit an initial draft by the January 2024 filing
date. We also acknowledged that drafts can be filed any time of the year.

Shara discussed her meeting with Representative Jim McGovern this past
Wednesday. Shara emphasized the importance of networking and attending
upcoming local events to foster strong relationships with our legislators.

The state convention will be held the first week of March. Shara mentioned
having childcare or an event for children at the state convention.

We discussed challenges around parenting including how to be involved in
children’s' activities that have a strong visual component (such as video
games). We also discussed the importance of teaching all children,
regardless of their ability to see, non-sighted techniques to expand their
minds and understanding of the world.

The meeting adjourned at 6:54PM.

We will hold our next meeting on Thursday, Dec. 1st at 6:00PM.