[Massachusetts-NFB] IMPORTANT UPDATE: Police cadets for travel for Central Square Senior Center meeting

Justin Heard braillemasterjustin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:19:38 UTC 2022

Good morning Helen.

My name is Justin Heard, current Cambridge Chapter President. Thank you
for your concerns for our safety. Unfortunately, I have not had many
interactions with you, but I look forward to changing that in the
future. It sounds like you have a strong desire to serve the chapter and
help us build the organized blind movement.

I am here to remind everyone of proper protocols when enacting chapter
business. These protocols may feel like burdensome bureaucratic
nonsense. However, they exist to ensure that the NFB of Cambridge
maintains a solid reputation, and they also keep our actions orderly and
precise.

Anyone is welcome, and urged, to bring concerns to any of the currently
serving board members, now or in the future. The board member, after
acknowledging the concern, can either act if he or she determines it is
a crisis, or s/he may bring the concern to the rest of the board
members. This does not have to involve a formal board meeting. The board
may then determine an appropriate response. Responses may include, but
are not limited to: acting immediately due to the urgency of the
situation, dismissing the concern, or calling an emergency chapter
meeting to discuss how to proceed. Of course,

Any communication with outside entities should be done through an
elected board member, or a committee member as appointed by the
President. This ensures that we maintain an official response, and that
the will of all chapter members is most democratically represented. As
chapter members, we elect our officers for exactly this purpose. It is a
sign of trust and confidence that they will respond to our needs in an
appropriate way. For the same reason, our affiliate president, or the
president of the National Federation of the Blind, can of course act and
speak for the Cambridge chapter if needed, and because they have
authority over the Cambridge chapter, they have certain other privileges.

I cannot emphasize enough that I appreciate your concern, Helen. I
welcome your enthusiasm for keeping us safe. I, like you, want all our
members to feel comfortable traveling to and from our in-person events.
I did not realize that Central Square has become less safe since chapter
meetings were held there. However, I want to maintain our proper
protocols so that we do not descend into chaos. This is not a rebuke. I
am sure that you were unaware of how to proceed. This is not a public
condemnation. Rather, I did not realize that these protocols had not
been discussed. This situation provides a perfect opportunity for the
instruction of every chapter member, and serves as a reminder for those
of us who may have forgotten.

Once again, I thank you for your love of the chapter. I hope to work
with you more in the future. Please keep us updated with more
information from the Cambridge police.

With love, hope, and determination,

Justin Heard