[Massachusetts-NFB] Update: Cadet-escorts from T to Senior Center- Monday Meeting

Helen Kobek helenkobek1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:54:35 UTC 2022

Hi, folks. Here's the update:
Four cadets (Trevor, Moree, Simon, and Brendan - with Moree being the one
female - in teams of two) are going to be at the two different sides of the
Central Square Massachusetts Ave T stops - two at Starbucks, and two at
CVS. The Community Relations head - Kesen Green - will be there for the
first time to ensure all goes well. I've advised him to give the cadets a
template of what to say to identify themselves to blind folks who might be
seeking the escort. Example: "My name is Cadet Trevor. I'm here to offer
escort to the Senior Center."
I've also suggested the cadets receive Human Guide training at their
earliest convenience so there is skillful human guide IF THAT IS SOUGHT by
NFB folks.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to talk in depth with officer Kessen Green
about blindness, and he's taken an interest in increasing training of all
types for the police department. This has been a good thing.
I plan to attend the meeting, making use of the escort. And I'm wishing for
the conversation about the matter to be respectful all around. Again, this
offer is not to undermine anyone's independence. Just an action of care and
concern for all. And the location and timing of meeting can be adjusted as
needed. The Police are fully flexible. They want this to work well for
everyone. I will notify Officer Green of the decision. He did review the
calendar of commitment through September of next year, being the second
Monday of the month, should this be desired going forward.
See some of you soon, I hope.
Warmly,
Helen