[Massachusetts-NFB] VERY Important dates and deadlines + President’s Notebook - Week of 09/20/2022

sharawinton at gmail.com sharawinton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 23:03:18 UTC 2022

Please take the survey this week, it is crucial for our movement. Also, if you would like to attend the Summer Shack Lunch after the David Ticchi walk to help promote Blind Equality Achievement Month, you must let me know by Thursday, September 22.   Also, don’t forget about This Thursday night, we will be talking with people from Democracy Live and Luanne Blake during our usual Thursday Night Live Zoom event that begins at 7PM.  We will be discussing about the accessible on-line voting that is now available   for us, here in Massachusetts.

Thanks, Shara

Shara Winton

>From our National Office

Critical Actions:

Strategic Planning Survey Open this Week:

As mentioned in the September Presidential Release, the National Federation of the Blind is working on our strategic planning for the organization. An important survey to gather data was launched on September 19 and will be available through 25. This is a short window, but the data is valuable to the process. We want to hear from you. Thank you for helping with this process. Please complete  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?&reset=1&id=538> the survey online or via phone now and share with members. Please note: We are also interested in capturing feedback in this effort from members of the Federation community who primarily engage in Spanish. To effectively focus our outreach, we will be offering a Spanish version online and via phone the week of September 26-October 2.

News:

Today, September 20, Is National Voter Registration Day:

Voting in any election is important because it provides blind and low-vision citizens with the opportunity to voice their opinion about elected leaders and policies and to help shape the future by electing candidates who share their views. We encourage all blind people to  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/national-center-nonvisual-election-3> participate in the American democracy. To vote in elections, a blind or low-vision citizen must first register with their state or district board of elections. Get #VoteReady!  <https://www.eac.gov/voters/register-and-vote-in-your-state> Learn what is needed to register. Blind Equality Achievement Month idea: Host a voter registration drive using the  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/national-center-nonvisual-election-3#experience> National Federation of the Blind Voter Registration Drive Guide (Word).

October Presidential Release LIVE!:

Brought to you live from the home of the Jackson Chapter of the NFB of Mississippi, next month’s Presidential Release LIVE will be Saturday, October 1, 5:00 p.m., eastern. We will send out the Zoom link and information as it gets a little closer.

Blind Equality Achievement Month: Send in Your Events:

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. Previously known as Meet the Blind Month, the National Federation of the Blind celebrates the organized blind movement during October. Chapters across the country organize local outreach events. Submit your events, activities, celebrations to  <mailto:web at nfb.org> web at nfb.org, so they can be posted on nfb.org/blind-month. If you still need items or ideas, check out  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/view?id=2378&reset=1> the free literature resources and White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation.

Save the Date: Where the Blind Work Webinar:

Join the National Federation of the Blind as we celebrate the work and accomplishments of blind and low-vision people with a panel of successfully employed professionals. Plan to attend the Where the Blind Work Webinar scheduled for Friday, October 21, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. More details coming soon on nfb.org/blind-month.

October Career Fair Registration Open!:

Attention job seekers and employers: Please  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=522> register for the Blind Equality Achievement Month VIRTUAL Career Fair that will be held October 26, 2022, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., eastern. When you register, you will also receive information that will help you to prepare, which includes the following:

*       Fearless Job Interview Part 1

o   October 6, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern

o   Duration: 1.5 hours

*       Fearless Job Interview Part 2

o   October 13, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern

o   Duration: 1.5 hours

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>