[Massachusetts-NFB] FYI Exciting news! Vermont NFB student presenting on Nemeth code

sharawinton at gmail.com sharawinton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 13:44:46 UTC 2023

This is great news!! Please share with any students, teachers or parents you know. Thanks.

Shara

Hi Vermont NFB,

We wanted you to know that Vermont NFB member Mae Lane-Karnas is co-presenting on the topic of Nemeth code (math and sciences Braille code) for the Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AERBVI)’s Neurological Visual Impairment (NVID) Division. She has been studying Nemeth code for approximately one year in homeschool and with Dr Tina Herzberg, and has found she loves math, numbers, and calculations because of the access provided by Nemeth code and tactile graphics. Mae and her co presenters, Dr Tina Herzberg and fellow middle schooler Sydney Floyd, created this presentation for the Principals of Schools for the Blind (POSB) Math and Sciences Institute for Instruction this winter, and surprised attendees with exceptionally high standards for blind CVI (Cerebral Visual Impairment) students’ potential in Braille and math. This is the first presentation we have heard of in the field of CVI discussing academic math skills and thriving with Nemeth code, and we are excited people are hearing about it from two blind students. Please feel free to forward to any TVIs or parents you know of!

Best,

Katie (Mae's mom)

>From AERBVI’s NVID:

We are excited to announce our upcoming webinar: Strategies and Resources for Teaching the Nemeth Code to Students With Cerebral/Cortical Visual Impairment

Where: Via Zoom!

When: May 8, 2023 03:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this webinar:

 <https://perkins-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_00IwRm_DSliPcWK6NkewrA> https://perkins-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_00IwRm_DSliPcWK6NkewrA

Presented by  Dr. Tina Herzberg, Sydney Floyd, and Mae Lane-Karnas

Come join us to learn about our journey in teaching and learning the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts and how incorporating braille and tactile graphics has led to math gains for two middle school students! The presenters will share resources, games, and strategies that can be used to teach the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts to students of all ages.

Objectives:

1. Make at least three connections between learning the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts and learning math.

2. Identify 3 resources and/or games that can be used to teach Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts to students with cerebral/cortical visual impairment.

3. Identify 3 strategies that can be used to teach Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts to students with cerebral/cortical visual impairment.

Please note we will not be offering CEUs for this course as we wanted to provide it at no cost. Please join us!

We hope you can make it!

The NVID