[Massachusetts-NFB] Update on Statewide Legislative Efforts

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sun Dec 10 00:09:41 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

As we approach the end of 2023, I want to be sure to give everyone an update on the legislative work that we've been doing at the state level. The short version of this is that there has not been any movement on the two bill packages related to our legislative agenda since the hearings that we most recently discussed. If anyone here knows of anything that has happened, it would be helpful to me if you could share it with me. To remind everyone, the two bill packages were:

Bill H.3577, An Act relative to uniformity of ballots in polling places
Last Action: Hearing on September 19, 2023.
This bill was not congruent with NFB national policy on voting. As an affiliate, we discussed the possibility of taking an affiliate-wide stance against it but eventually decided to stay out of it as an affiliate. Individual members submitted testimony. As far as I know, our members were the only ones opposing this legislation, while many other interests were advocating in support of it. It appears for now that the bill's movement has stopped, but we will have to keep monitoring this bill.
Here is a link to the bill: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/H3577

Bill H.1601/S.1037, An Act prohibiting discrimination against adults with disabilities in family and juvenile court proceedings
This bill very much aligns with NFB policy on our right to parent initiative. We submitted a testimony as an affiliate, and some individuals submitted their individual testimony, as well. We generally supported the bill and asked for a simple amendment to enhance the bill as it moves forward. This bill has not moved since the hearing on November 14, 2023.
Here is a link to the house version. The house and senate versions are identical. https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/H1601

If anyone has any updates, please send them my way. I will do the same for you.

Justin Salisbury
Director of Statewide Legislation
Athol, MA