[Massachusetts-NFB] Tenderness with each other and ourselves

Helen Kobek helenkobek1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:04:03 UTC 2023

Hello, all,

I feel led to note how deeply affected we all are by the events of our world. (e.g., Another mass shooting Monday, this one at Michigan State.) The increasing numbers of random shootings, social and personal desperation, fear, despair.

On a practical note: It’s notable that, when a mass shooting occurs, blind people are at a disadvantage if not familiar with our surroundings. I bring this up not to raise fear, but to both acknowledge this, and to encourage us all to have an awareness of exits in novel settings. I, personally, ask to be shown where exits are when I go to a new setting. Just sharing that. In a chaotic situation, like a mass shooting, it might not be easy to use that information, or even helpful, as Someone might just be coming towards us and we wouldn’t necessarily detect that. But any information we can have could be protective.

But more importantly, we might note that we are so without control over these kinds of events, and the rise in shootings, suicides, drinking, etc., all reflecting social despondency, is real and comes out in many unfavorable ways, towards ourselves and each other. Ready fighting, not listening, within families, co-workers, etc. Tense, aggravated, without needed good will.

We can and should consider being tender and of good will together. If we have faith, let us engage that. If we have other skills of communication, caring and restraint, let us use that. We all hopefully have something that keeps us going, that soothes and strengthens us. And we all have areas of hardness we can soften and buffer against.

There are many who feel the decline of safety and well being, economic and otherwise, in our society. There is much we cannot control.

What we can control is how decent, tender hearted we are with ourselves and with each other.

Whatever skills and strength we need, to get through these strains, challenges, and desperate times both here and coming, I hope we can create, find, and nurture them.

Our moral connections and kindness are really all we have for certain...

Wishing everyone wellness and safety.

Warmly,
Helen Kobek