[Massachusetts-NFB] At-Large Chapter February Meeting Minutes

Liz Lesperance liz.karsok at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:16:05 UTC 2023

Good Morning,

Pasted below please find the minutes from our most recent monthly meeting
held on Sunday, February 12th. Have a great day and can't wait to connect
with everyone at the state convention in a few short weeks.

Best Regards,
Liz

***********

The NFB of MA At-Large Chapter met on Sunday, February 12th. Those in
attendance included:

Cullen Gallagher

Shara Winton

Liz Lesperance

Debbie Malone

Elizabeth Ann Johnson

Allen Larkin

Tom Geraci

Brian Langlois

Sandy Burgess

Stephanie Valdes

Amalia Alexander

Debbie called the meeting to order at 7:07PM.

Debbie recited the NFB pledge

Cullen put forth a motion to approve the January minutes which Allen
seconded. Sandy clarified that 6 members had paid dues as of the last
meeting. Cullen moved that the minutes be accepted as corrected which Sandy
seconded. The January minutes were approved.

Sandy went over the treasurer's report. The current account balance is
$1683.63 as of this meeting. We went over which individuals still need to
pay dues and will follow up accordingly. Brian put forth a motion to
approve the treasurer's report which Liz seconded. The treasurer's report
was approved.

We heard from Amalia who is currently working hard at the Louisiana Center
for the Blind.

Debbie went over the highlights of the presidential report which included:

·         A recording of President Riccobono speaking at the Great
Gathering-In about the importance of collective advocation

·         $2 million have been pledged towards building the Museum of the
Blind People’s Movement. The national office seeks to preserve records and
archives related to the history of the NFB

·         The Dream Makers Circle (end of life gifts) received a new member

·         The national convention will be July 1st - 6th. Hotel rooms are
now available.

Shara gave us a brief overview of her experience at Washington Seminar. Her
meetings went well, and the senators were extremely supportive of our
legislative issues. Debbie advised us to be on the lookout for legislative
alert emails in the near future.

The state convention will begin on Thursday, March 2nd. This day will
consist of virtual events. Shara encouraged everyone to register. Early
registration has ended but it is not too late to register. Please contact
Shara if you still need a hotel room for the in-person portion of the
convention which will be held from Friday, March 3rd through Sunday, March
5th. Shara advised that the at-large chapter will meet during lunch on
Saturday in one of the breakout rooms. Debbie asked that we brainstorm
ideas on what we'd like the chapter to do during the upcoming year.

Cullen advised us to keep an eye out for a sign-up form for karaoke which
will occur during the Friday evening portion of the convention.

Our next meeting will be Sunday, March 12th at 7:00PM.

The meeting adjourned at 7:50PM.