[Massachusetts-NFB] At-Large Chapter June Meeting Minutes

sharawinton at gmail.com sharawinton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 00:53:45 UTC 2023

Wow!! That was super fast. Thank you!!

From: Massachusetts-NFB <massachusetts-nfb-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Liz Lesperance via Massachusetts-NFB
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2023 8:49 PM
To: massachusetts-nfb at nfbnet.org; Liz Lesperance <liz.karsok at gmail.com>
Cc: Liz Lesperance <liz.karsok at gmail.com>
Subject: [Massachusetts-NFB] At-Large Chapter June Meeting Minutes

Good Evening Everyone,

Pasted below and attached please find the minutes from the at0large chapter's June meeting held earlier this evening.

Best Regards,

Liz

**********

The At-Large chapter met on Tuesday, June 13th. Those in attendance included:

Allen Larkin

Brian Langlois

Cullen Gallagher

Debbie Malone

Elizabeth Ann Johnson

Justin Salisbury

Liz Lesperance

Masha and Al Stan-Clanton

Mike Karsok

Sandra Burgess

Sengil Inkiala

Shara Winton

Shirley Doris

Zoe Koza

Debbie called the meeting to order at 7:05PM. We did an ice breaker where we indicated which movie we wish we could watch again for the very first time. This spurred a discussion about how blindness is portrayed in the movies.

Inky recited the NFB pledge. Elizabeth Ann recited the pledge as well.

Liz conducted a roll call.

Brian put forth a motion to approve the May meeting minutes which Cullen seconded. The minutes were approved.

Sandy went over the treasurer's report. Last month, the treasury balance was $1613.63. The Double Good fundraiser yielded $644.50. The new balance is $2258.13. Liz put forth a motion to approve the treasurer's report which Allen seconded. The treasurer's report was approved.

Shara advised that national convention is quickly approaching. There are no rooms left at the Hilton. There are some members who need a roommate. Please contact Shara if you need a roommate. The MA caucus will be July 3rd at noon in a room near the boardroom. Lunch will be provided. You will be charged for lunch if you agreed to attend but do not show up.

Debbie advised that anyone interested in participating virtually can register now.

Debbie summarized the June presidential release:

o   The ATAA  (Access Technology Affordability Act) was introduced in the House and has 13 co-sponsors. We're hoping to get this bill passed this year. Please contact your state representatives and encourage them to sign on as a co-sponsor.

o   Washington Seminar will be from Jan. 29th - Feb. 1st.

o   June is pride month. We should all be supportive and welcoming of the LGPT+ community.

o   There will be multiple tours during the national convention. All tour info is available on the national website.

We will not be meeting in July due to national convention.

Debbie asked for volunteers to participate in the August meeting.

Zoe will do the ice breaker.

Inky will do the pledge.

Justin will do a presentation to the group about the MAPBC parents' rights bill.

Sandy will summarize the presidential report.

Cullen provided us with air tags tips and tricks. They are small trackers that can be tacked onto various items like backpacks and canes or in wallets. The device plays a sound allowing you to locate the item it is attached to. The device is tracked using a smartphone. You can also mark an item as lost. This enables other air tag users to contact you if their smartphone is able to pick up your air tag. Cullen will share a link to the object.

We held a lively discussion about the second half of Ever Lee Hairston’s book “Blind Amibition”.

The meeting adjourned at 8:43PM.

Our next meeting will be Tuesday, Aug. 8th, at 7:00PM via zoom.