[Massachusetts-NFB] Democracy Live Zoom meeting to discuss H-3577 regarding equal access to voting

Sandra Burgess SandraBurgess at msn.com
Sat Sep 9 21:51:20 UTC 2023

Hi Sandra,

The Disability Law Center is looking for volunteers willing to testify about the importance of polling place accessibility and on experiences with accessibility barriers when voting in person during a hearing at the State House next Wednesday, September 13th @ 1pm. Participants will have the option of testifying in person in State House room A1 and virtually through Microsoft Teams.

Volunteers will be testifying in support of H. 701 (https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/H701) - An Act Enforcing accessibility for voters with disabilities, a standalone bill which is also part 4 of the Voting Access Act. The Act requires the Secretary of the Commonwealth to arrange inspection of all polling places and early voting sites at least once every four years, to ensure compliance with federal and state disability accessibility laws.

Please let DLC know if you are willing and able to join us in testifying at the hearing. To register to testify virtually, you must provide contact information through this form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfK713r63f-_4aX-W_iFedXoXdncBjy3alDoB0AdDp4imigeg/viewform?usp=sf_link> by 4:00 PM on Monday, September 11, 2023. Individuals and groups testifying in person are also encouraged to register online. Written testimony may be submitted by Friday, September 22, 2023, to the Joint Committee on Election Laws at 24 Beacon Street, Room 445, Boston, MA 02133, or by email to colleen.bellotti at mahouse.gov<mailto:colleen.bellotti at mahouse.gov> and mark.sternman at masenate.gov<mailto:mark.sternman at masenate.gov>.

Testifying about your own experience with in-person voting accessibility issues will ensure that your voices are heard when it comes to the ongoing fight for equality at the polls for all in Massachusetts. Thanks to each of you for all of your efforts to make voting in Massachusetts accessible for all.
Thank you,

Emily Almeda-Lopez (She/Her/Hers)

Voting Rights Advocate

Disability Law Center, Inc.

Direct phone/fax/text: (617) 221-8451<tel:(617)%20221-8451>
<tel:(617)%20221-8451>

[DLC circle logo with the text 'The Protection & Advocacy Agency for People with Disabilities' around the scales of justice]<http://www.dlc-ma.org/> [Facebook logo] <https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Disability-Law-Center-of-Massachusetts/87454558425>   [Twitter Logo] <https://twitter.com/DLCMA>  [YouTube logo] <https://www.youtube.com/user/DisabilityLawCenter>

United Way Code: M36​1888

Massachusetts Register to Vote Online<https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic message is confidential and solely for the use of the recipient(s) and the Disability Law Center.  Its contents may be protected from disclosure by attorney-client privilege, the work-product doctrine, or federal law governing the confidentiality of information held by the Protection and Advocacy System. See, e.g., 45 C.F.R. sec. 1326.28; 42 U.S.C. 10806(a); 42 C.F.R. 51.45(a).