[Massachusetts-NFB] Resending June Cambridge Meeting Minutes

Cullen Gallagher cullen.gallagher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 15:59:51 UTC 2024

Hi Everyone,
I look forward to seeing you all at our Cambridge Chapter meeting at 6:00 PM. The minutes from our June meeting are attached and pasted below.
See you all this evening,
Cullen
Cambridge Chapter Minutes, June 10, 2024

The June 10, 2024 meeting of the Cambridge Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts was held as a hybrid meeting at Citywide Senior Center and Zoom. The meeting was called to order at 6:05 PM.
In Attendance:

Adam Roberge
Sengil Inkiala
Stephen James
John Oliveira
Tammy Febbi
Kris DiNardo
ElizabethAnn Johnson
Kobena Bonney
Mika Pyyhkala
Cullen Gallagher
Ellen Bartelt
Al Sten-Clanton
Greg Bedard
Laurie Mattioli
Nicole Tolbert
Kristina Constant
Allen Larkin
Helen Kobek
Jeff Wilson
Jen Bose
Shara Winton
Shirley Dorris
Kyra Sweeney
Rashad Saadieh
NFB Pledge

Adam led the NFB Pledge.
Approval of Minutes

Inky moved that we accept the May minutes: the motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report

Mika presented the Treasurer’s Report. Transactions this month include our $50 PAC contribution and a $100 gift card for Scott Hurley. Our checking account balance is $376.13.
Cullen moved that we accept the Treasurer’s Report: the motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
National Convention

National convention is July 3-8 at the Rosen Center in Orlando, and the agenda is now available. Please look at the agenda and determine when you will be available to work a shift at our Massachusetts exhibit hall table where we will be accepting donations. For donations of $25 or more, the person will receive a gift of one of our t-shirts.
We will have a caucus, and those attending in-person must attend. The Resolutions Committee, Board Meeting, and all of the General Sessions will be available online for those unable to attend in-person.
Please contact Shirley regarding your availability to work at our exhibit table. Anyone receiving a stipend is required to work a shift.
BELL Update

Ellen gave an update on our BELL Academy. Our BELL Academy will run from August 5 to August 16 in Waltham. Two students are currently registered, and recruiting continues for students age 4 to 12. Supplies and the curriculum are being finalized. Please note that the date for signing up as a volunteer has passed.
Community Outreach

Inky gave an update on the Community Outreach committee. A lot of meetings take place the second week of the month, so Inky proposed holding this committee meeting the third Wednesday. The committee is currently working on two issues, the unwillingness to assist shoppers at the Quincy Walmart and the treatment of a member at a Beauty supply store. We would like more people to be involved with this team, investigating and finding solutions for these issues. Educating the community on the courtesy rules of blindness also plays an important role in this work. The goal is that this team can be a resource people can turn to if they have an issue, and that the advocacy we work on benefits everyone.
Laurie, Hellen and Al expressed interest in being on this team.
Presidential Release

Cullen presented highlights from the June Presidential Release. <https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2024-05/june%202024%20presidential%20release%20chapter%20audio.mp3>
Open Discussion

Mika mentioned that there is an Achilles chapter in Boston. You do not need to be an athlete to participate, and there are meetings twice a week for people to walk, run or jog. Mika will send the details out to our list.
Rashad suggested creating a WhatsApp group for the chapter to stay in contact more informally in between meetings and ask questions. This would not replace our email list. There was a lot of interest, so we will look at creating a group for the chapter.
Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 7:28 PM. The next meeting will be August 12.

Cullen Gallagher
Affiliate Secretary and Cambridge Chapter Secretary: National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts