[Massachusetts-NFB] Important things to know

sharawinton at gmail.com sharawinton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 19:19:07 UTC 2024

Upcoming Presidential Release:

The National Federation of the Blind
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>
Presidential Release #541 is scheduled for Tuesday, September 3, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. Mark your calendar.  <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/91333399714>
Zoom Meeting ID 913 3339 9714. Please submit questions to
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org with #PR541 in the subject
line.

News:

Rideshare Rally in San Francisco:

The National Federation of the Blind announced an upcoming Rideshare Rally
at the Lyft and Uber headquarters on October 15 in San Francisco,
California. Join our demonstration to protest rideshare discrimination
against blind people using guide dogs and white canes. Please let us know if
you are interested in attending this demonstration by submitting the
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/rideshare-rally-interest>
Rideshare Rally Interest Form. Please note: the exact location and rally
route will be shared in the coming weeks with recommended lodging for those
traveling to San Francisco. More details coming soon.

Blind Equality Achievement Month Planning:

Remember history. Advance equality. Celebrate accomplishments. The National
Federation of the Blind celebrates the organized blind movement during
October each year. Chapters across the country organize local outreach
events. Submit your events, activities, and celebrations to
<mailto:web at nfb.org> web at nfb.org, so they can be posted on
<https://nfb.org/blind-month> https://nfb.org/blind-month. Reminder: please
use Blind Equality Achievement Month, Blind Month, or #BlindMonth when
referring to and promoting activities.

Promote Voting Resources

The National Federation of the Blind works to provide information and
resources regarding accessible voting. A great opportunity for affiliates,
chapters, and members is to host a voter registration drive over the next
couple of months to share the voting resources. You can find the resources
at  <https://nfb.org/vote> https://nfb.org/vote. Share the importance of
voting and the voting resources on social media, during chapter meetings,
and at state conventions.

Dare to Be Remarkable Conference:

Register for the National Federation of the Blind 2024
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/dare-be-remarkable> Dare to Be
Remarkable conference, a three-day national conference for education and
rehabilitation professionals who work with blind students and adults. The
conference will be held from November 11-13 at the National Federation of
the Blind Jernigan Institute. We also invite you to submit your presentation
proposals for this event. The deadline to submit proposals is September 20.

Registration is $400 until October 5 and $500 after October 6. Register on
our website,
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/dare-be-remarkable> Dare to Be
Remarkable Conference.

Please direct all inquiries to the conference organizers, Edward Bell (
<mailto:ebell at latech.edu> ebell at latech.edu or 318-257-4554) or Anil Lewis (
<mailto:alewis at nfb.org> alewis at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2374).

Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467):

In the last couple of weeks, we have gained three new cosponsors on the
Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467) in the House.
Representative Judy Chu of California, Representative Jerry Carl of Alabama,
and Delegate James Moylan of Guam have all joined in support of the bill. We
now have a total of ninety-eight cosponsors on the Access Technology
Affordability Act in the House of Representatives. We are so close to that
milestone one hundred cosponsor mark, so please keep calling and emailing
your representatives and urge them to cosponsor the Access Technology
Affordability Act, H.R. 3702.

Braille Calendars

The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults produces over eight
thousand Braille calendars each year, and they are given free to any blind
or deafblind persons in the United States. These pocket calendars are great
for the office, home, or your travel bag. You can order up to three Braille
calendars via  <https://actionfund.org/resources/braille-calendars> the
online form at actionfund.org or by sending an email to
<mailto:calendars at actionfund.org> calendars at actionfund.org.

Advanced PDF Tagging Techniques - Forms:

The upcoming CENA event, Advanced PDF Tagging Techniques: Forms, will happen
on Tuesday, August 27, from 2:00-3:30 p.m., eastern. Join CENA to learn how
to make fillable forms accessible to screen readers. Register today at
<https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg>
https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	February 3, 2025: Great Gathering-In
*	February 3-6, 2025: Washington Seminar
*	July 8-13, 2025: National Convention; New Orleans, Louisiana

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

*	Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.

Chapter Presidents Calls

*	Thursday, September 12, and Sunday, September 15, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, December 19, and Sunday, December 22, at 8:00 p.m.

The National Federation of the Blind advances the lives of its members and
all blind people in the United States. We know that blindness is not the
between blind people and our dreams. Our collective power, determination,
and diversity achieve the aspirations of all blind people.

Shara Winton

President, National federation of the Blind of Massachusetts

 <http://www.nfbma.org/> www.nfbma.org

 <mailto:sharawinton at gmail.com> sharawinton at gmail.com

617-304-0347