[Massachusetts-NFB] At Large meeting minutes for September

Gannon Olson Golson at disabilityrc.org
Tue Oct 8 14:22:32 UTC 2024

NFB MA At-Large Chapter Meeting Minutes for 9/10/2024

Call to Order/ Ice breaker
The meeting was called to order at 6:29 Pm. The icebreaker what is your favorite sound or what sound drives you crazy.
Roll Call
Those in attendance at the September 10th At Large Chapter meeting were Gannon Olson, Debbie Malone, Shara Winton, Cullen Gallagher, Liz Lesperance, Zachary Gousie, Elizabeth Ann Johnson, Alan Larkin, Sandy, Kristina, and Brian Langlois
NFB Pledge
The pledge was recited recited by Elizabeth Ann Johnson and is as follows I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.
Secretary’s Report
The secretary’s report was sent out to all members present by Gannon Olson.  There were a few suggestions made. Going forward I will add Kristina’s   and Sandy’s name to the roll call. I will also put it in the body of the email instead of attaching it as an attachment. I will also remove my signature at the bottom of my emails going forward.  It was motioned to be accepted by Cullen Gallagher and seconded by Alan Larkin.
Treasurer’s Report
Sandy presented the treasurer’s report and our balance is $514.48.    It was motioned to be accepted by Liz Lesperance and seconded by Alan Larkin.
Presidential Release Summary
Debbie gave the highlights. They were beginning in October there is going to be a new format. Release will only be 15 minutes. That way we can play it. Uber and Lyft rally is in San Fransico on October 15. Need to continue    to report denials to the justice department. The parent’s division is holding a fundraising walk in Maryland. Encouraged to be out more in our local communities. Shara provided more president updates, encouraging more people to attend the rally for uber and Lyft. The next presidential release will be live from the rally in San Fransico. There is a zoom event for how to vote in person. There will be a voter registration drive in Peabody and Danvers in October.

State convention
The state convention is from 3/14 to 3/16, 2025 in Springfield. This Friday the 13 at 7, Shara is holding a meeting for convention ideas.
Blind Equality Achievement Month/Quarterly get togethers/ Fundraising
Will be used as quarterly get together and fundraising. We will have a table in Cambridge at the David Tiki Walk. Need to find places to fundraise our meat sticks to raise funds for our budget. Kristina is going to help Debbie with reaching out to fairs to inquire about getting a table.

Outreach/Advocacy Team update
Had a meeting to go over issues specifically with a Walmart. There is a law where Walmart needs to help blind shoppers.If there is a proven document it will make the stores more accomdoting. Meetings are the third wensday of the months

Next meeting: 10/8