[MD-AtLarge] Minutes and Next Meeting

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 7 17:43:45 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

The next meeting of the At Large chapter will be on Tuesday, December 15.
The National Presidents message begins at 7:30 and the meeting will start at
8:00 pm.  As usual, the call in number is 641 715-3272 the access code is
720125.

Marguerite is planning an interesting meeting that you will not want to
miss!  If you are beyond "all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"
you will want to hear from our two guests who will talk about the
independence market and about blindbargins.com

Happy holidays, the minutes are below.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596

Minutes for the At large chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland

Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 8:00 P.M. via conference call by
Marguerite Woods. There were about 19 people on the call including 2 new
people; Luzanne Moses who is in Hagerstown and Linda Booze who is in Laurel.

Marguerite invited those who attended convention to share their favorite
experiences and said it was the 49th anniversary of the convention. Judy
talked about a panel of people who are employed but have had trouble with
their employers.  Some lost their site on the job, but others were already
blind when they came to the job but still face discrimination.  She said she
was amazed that things like tenure and experience did not matter in such
situations. She was also happy that students from the BELL program could
come and talk and sing. Marla said she was excited to attend another
convention, and her sister came and has birds that she displayed and talked
to others about which are anatomically correct and make the sounds of actual
birds. Luzanne got to try the new voting machine and also enjoyed getting to
wear sonic glasses. She said she had a great time and won several door
prizes including one she didn't know about until our call.  She won a free
room for next year's convention for joining the PAC plan. It was pointed out
that you had to be present to win door prizes. Valencia said it was neat to
meet and listen to different people and the speeches, and she liked the
banquet. Henry also liked the banquet and the band, and he met a little boy
who shares his name. Sharon said things were a bit hectic for her but
overall it went well and she was happy that most things went smoothly. She
said she liked meeting all the new members and hearing the children.
Marguerite said she had a really good time, and she was elected to the state
board. She enjoyed the beach party and hearing the children. Also, the At
Large chapter held a meeting so those in attendance got to meet each other
in person. Sharon said there were many instances of encouraging people to
live the lives they want which she hoped was inspirational.

Sharon told us that we need $200 for the robocalls which remind us of each
meeting, and she encouraged us to think of ways to raise money for this
expense.

There was more discussion about the employee panel from convention. It was
mentioned that there were people representing all ages, backgrounds and job
fields, and some of them have been fighting for up to 4 years.

Linda told us she has been challenged by technology since losing her sight
but would like info on getting a computer and cell phone that are user
friendly. Sharon said she will contact her and get her started.

Judy told us about Aisha, a little girl who lost her sight and suffered
other injuries in a bomb blast in Afghanistan. She had been living with a
family here but had to return to her home country because of visa issues.
Afghanistan does not allow adoptions, but Senator Ben Cardin of MD and NFB
lawyers got involved and she came back to the United States 2 weeks ago.

There is an E-book that can be listened to online or on Newsline called
"Building the lives we want," which celebrates the 75th anniversary of the
NFB.

The meeting ended at 9:00 P.M.

Submitted by Danielle Shives