[MD-AtLarge] May Meeting minutes

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 19:29:06 UTC 2015

Remember our next meeting is June 16th at 8pm.

Minutes for the At large chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland

Date: Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 8:00 P.M. via conference call by Sharon
Maneki. There were between 15 and 20 people on the call.

Sharon said she and Michelle met with Congressmen Delaney, who represents
western MD, in Hagerstown. This was the first time the NFB was able to meet
with him in person. They spoke with him concerning the bill to make it
illegal for employers to pay workers with disabilities less than minimum
wage.

On May 12, Sharon, Frank Henry, and others attended a bill signing by the
governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan. The bill that was signed will give
children more access to orientation and mobility training.

Sharon discussed two pieces of literature available from the NFB and read a
portion of them to us. The first was "What is the National Federation of the
Blind". It gives information about the federation for those who may not know
about it. The second item was "Do you know a blind person?" It discusses
resources the NFB can provide to those who are blind. There is other
literature available, and Sharon can send it out to people who want it, but
she only wants to send it to people who will do something with it. It is
also available on nfb.org in PDF format. Sharon took names of people who
want to distribute brochures. We listed places we can leave literature,
including doctors' offices, supermarkets, churches, libraries, public
transportation, and fundraising events.

Judy Rasmussen, the chair of our nominating committee, presented names of
those nominated for office for the at large chapter. Sharon asked for any
other nominations for each office, and no other names were given. Our new
officers are:

President: Marguerite Woods

Vice president: Sandra Burchette

Secretary: Danielle Shives

Treasurer: Sharon Maneki

Board members: Dana Diaz and Henry Smith

Each of the new officers was invited to say a few words. Marguerite said she
has gotten to know many of the members of the chapter through communications
about meetings and thinks this is a great way for people to keep up with the
NFB. She said when she first lost her sight, she didn't want to "look like a
blind person", but she has met many people through the NFB who have helped
her feel more comfortable, gain skills, and build self-esteem.

Sandra said she is new to the organization but thinks it is great and helps
the blind feel more comfortable and shows them they are not alone. She
mentioned how our chapter has grown so much in a short time just through
word of mouth, and she hopes it continues to grow.

Danielle talked about how she was formally part of a short-lived chapter of
the NFB in the Hagerstown area but had mostly lost track of the federation
until joining this chapter. She agreed that it has been neat to see how this
chapter has grown and looks forward to seeing what will happen in the
future. Sharon brought up Danielle's previous participation in the NFB's
Braille Readers are Leaders contests, and Danielle also announced she is
looking for employment as either an Elementary or Special Education teacher
and has a screening interview scheduled with Washington County Public
Schools.

Sharon talked about how the at large chapter doesn't need much money but
does need some, primarily for paying for the service that calls people with
the reminders about meetings. The yearly fee for the service was previously
$258 which has been covered by a grant, but the grant runs out in August.

Dana told us that she lost her sight due to a stroke and was living in North
Carolina where no one knew how to help her. She discovered that her home
state of Maryland had good services for the blind, so she moved back to take
advantage of what was available. She emphasized the importance of advocating
for yourself and how you want to be treated.

Henry has been blind for a little over a year, and at first, he stayed away
from things like the NFB and DORS. He said Sharon Maneki called him and got
him involved in some things, and he now wants to do and be involved in
everything he can, not only for himself but to help others as well.

Sharon emphasized that everyone in the at large chapter is important,
whether they hold an office or not. Everyone is needed to make the chapter
work.

It was announced that national convention will be streamed online for those
who are unable to attend.

We had two new people on the call, and they were invited to tell us about
themselves. Several of our members also discovered they live near each
other.

There will be no presidential release in June, so our conference call will
begin at 8:00.

The meeting ended at 9:00 P.M.

Submitted by Danielle Shives

Sharon Maneki, President