[MD-AtLarge] Tonight's meeting

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 18:02:42 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Due to the convention I am getting this message out to you late.  I hope
that you will read it in time and get on the call anyway.

Remember the national's presidents starts at 7:30.  The meeting begins at
8:00 pm.  For your convenience, the phone number is 641-715-3272.

The access code is 720125.

Minutes for the At large chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland

Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 8:00 P.M. via conference call by
Marguerite Woods. There were around 15 people on the call.

Many people shared things they have done or plan to do for Meet the Blind
month. Marguerite spoke at her senior center and also invited someone from
BISM and Melissa Riccobono to speak. There were about 80 participants, and
the feedback has been positive. Sharon invited Ever Lee Hairston, an NFB
board member, to speak. She has written a book called "Blind Ambition". Judy
and her husband will have a booth at their church's fall festival where they
will have a Braille matching game with Bible characters. Valencia introduced
her ophthalmologist to the NFB and said it was well-received. She said she
has also been trying to network with various other people. Ronald
participated in an art show with people with various disabilities which also
included a few others who were blind or visually impaired. Dana said that
since her stroke, she has shared a lot of information with the people who
have helped her with therapy. Most of her therapists had not previously
worked with a totally blind person, and she has explained to them how she
does various things like correctly take medication. She talked about the
importance of getting such information out to such people. Sandra has given
out a lot of pamphlets in places such as the bus, library, and others and
said she is amazed at the number of people who do not know about things like
the NFB, BISM, and the services available to the blind. She has also handed
out many Braille alphabet cards.

Ronald said he learned in one of his classes that there is already a law
that says that the internet should be accessible to those with disabilities
and asked why we still have to fight for this. Sharon explained that what we
are fighting for is the enforcement of the law because it is often not
followed. Many people gave examples of websites that are not accessible.
Sharon also said we fight to make the current laws stronger.

Convention will be here soon. Sharon asked who is going, and many people
said they are. Sharon said that for those that cannot attend, much of the
convention will be streamed online. Sharon said that those who attend will
be able to check out the new voting machines that are going to be used in
upcoming elections. Those that are not attending convention will be able to
attend demonstrations of the machines in different areas around the state.
Sharon said there will be many other exhibits to check out, including a new
Braille display. Someone will also be able to win a free KNFB reader app.
The KNFB reader, which has been available for Iphones, is now also available
for Android phones. It can be purchased from your phone's app store or by
going to nfbmd.org. Sharon said that when it is purchased through the
website, the NFB gets money from the sale, so she encouraged anyone who
wants to buy it to do so through the site. The cost is $99. Aaron said he
has the app and spoke very highly of it. He told us many things he has been
able to do with it, including reading controls in his RV, and said it is
definitely worth the price. Sharon listed many other fun things that will
happen at convention, including a beach party, a play performed by children,
games, workshops, and more. She said the agenda would hopefully be online by
the end of October.

Sharon said the NFB has been talking to election officials because there
will not be enough voting machines for upcoming elections, which means many
votes will have to be cast by hand. This would mean that those who are blind
would not be able to privately cast their vote.

Sharon reminded us to check out the NFB of MD newsletter, which is available
online or on Newsline. She also pointed out that there is a president's
message that she emails every month. She made sure that everyone who has
internet access is on the email listserv for the at large chapter to receive
these messages.

Carla Daily joined us for her first call. She lives in Aberdeen.

Marguerite suggested going back to having someone gather and present
information on a person or topic at our monthly meetings.

With it being Meet the Blind month, Sharon reminded us that, since there are
not many of us, we need to be careful of the impressions we give people
because we represent all blind people. She also said that we may not realize
what seeing us do things means to people and how it may help them.

Aaron said he wants to hand out Braille alphabet cards to people he goes
camping with. He says they are curious about how he operates his RV and seem
amazed at things he does. They have also asked about Braille. He echoed
Sharon's comments about us being representatives of the blind community and
said we all meet people all the time that we can educate.

The meeting ended at 9:00 P.M.

Submitted by Danielle Shives

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596