[MD-AtLarge] At Large Minutes and information

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 6 13:34:59 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Our meeting is early this month because September 1st was a Tuesday.  We
will meet on September 15th.  As usual, the National President's message
starts at 7:30pm and the meeting begins at 8:00pm.  Below are the minutes so
you can be prepared for the September meeting.   - Sharon

Minutes for the At large chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Maryland

Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 8:00 P.M. via conference call by
Marguerite Woods. There were around 20 people on the call.

Sharon Maneki spoke about two issues the federation is currently working on.
One involves the bill to pay people with disabilities at least minimum wage,
and the other involves ensuring the internet is accessible to the blind by
having regulations that make it a public accommodation to make it compliant
with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Judy commented that the neat thing
about our at large chapter is that we can work on such issues even though we
are all in different places. Those wishing to comment to the White House
concerning the internet being a public accommodation should contact the
disability liaison at the White House, Maria Town, at 202-456-1212 or
disability at who.eop.

Sharon reminded anyone that has not paid dues yet that they are $5 and
should be sent to her.

Marguerite spoke about the possibilities fair for seniors losing sight which
will be held on Thursday, August 20 at BISM. Marguerite will serve as the
keynote speaker. The fair includes things such as demonstrations of tools
those losing their sight can use and representative from organizations and
agencies such as DORS and the NFB. The cost for this year's fair is $20.
Marguerite gave a phone number for anyone wanting more information, which is
410-737-2600.

It was announced that long-time member Shirley Morris recently passed away.
She had suffered with cancer for many years but still remained active in the
organization and will be greatly missed.

Sharon gave some information on the upcoming state convention, which will be
held at the Carousel Hotel in Ocean City November 13-15. The national NFB
representative will be Jeanie Massay, who will be coming from Oklahoma.
There will be buses from the NFB center and from New Carrollton. The cost
for the bus is $50. Room rates are $83 per night for a standard room, $120
per night for a room with an ocean view, and $175 per night for a 2-bedroom
condo. There is also a 10.5 percent tax on the rooms. Anyone wishing to make
room reservations can call the hotel at 410-524-1000. Other costs include
$20 for registration, $35 for the banquet on Saturday night, and $20 for
either the senior or parent lunch on Saturday afternoon. There will also be
a boxed lunch available on Friday for $12.

Marguerite asked who among us uses an Iphone, which many do. Those that use
them said they like them a lot and named some of the things they do with
them, such as utilizing the calendar and reminder features and recording
notes. The suggestion was made to practice dialing numbers instead of always
having the phone do it and remembering numbers in case there is ever a
problem with the phone.

October will be Meet the Blind month, and Marguerite commented that it would
be nice if our chapter could do something during the month. One idea was to
distribute literature in our local communities. Those wishing to do so,
either in October or at any other time, should contact Sharon. The
suggestion was made to make sure you have appropriate permission to place
literature in public places. Any other ideas for things we could do are
welcomed.

The Sligo Creek chapter will be holding a dinner and auction on October 3 to
benefit the NFB's youth programs. They have a goal of $4500. The event will
be held at the Knights of Columbus building in College Park, and the cost is
$30.

The Independence 101 group from BISM recently performed the "Manic Monday"
song on WJZ's morning news broadcast. They did well and will be back on
again sometime in November. The song can be heard on Monday mornings around
6:00 A.M.

Sharon encouraged us to invite people to join our monthly calls. Steve Sopel
shared how he found information about our meetings online and felt
conference calls fit into his schedule better than physical meetings. Sharon
said this illustrates why it is good to have information about the calls
available.

The meeting ended at 9:00 P.M.

Submitted by Danielle Shives

Sharon Maneki, President