[MD-AtLarge] A Time to Take Action

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 21:35:10 UTC 2017

Hello all,

1.       Congress is back in Washington, so they need to hear from each of
us.
Call or email Senator Chris Van Hollen. Ask him to co-sponsor the Access
Technology Affordability Act of 2017, S. 732.  Senator Cardin is the lead
Democratic sponsor on this bill so I am sure Senator Van Hollen will want to
support this as well - but we need to ask him.  This bill will provide a
refundable  tax credit for the purchase of access technology.  If you need
more information read the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact
sheet to learn more <https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act> .

Please call or email your individual representatives and ask them to do the
following:
a.        Co-sponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act, HR 1734.  Ask
them to contact Congressman Lucille Roybal-Allard's office to let her know
that they wish to be a Democratic co-sponsor;
b.       Co-sponsor Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education
Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH).  Ask them to contact Congressman Joe Courtney's
office to let him know that they wish to be a Democratic co-sponsor.  Read
the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.
c.        Co-sponsor Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment
Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME).  Ask them to contact Congressman Greg
Harper's office to let him know that they wish to be a co-sponsor.

2.       Calling all vendors in the BEP Program, entrepreneurs, and others
interested in business.
Be sure to register for and participate in the meeting to form a new
division of the NFBMD.

Kick-off Meeting
National Association of Blind Merchants - Maryland
Saturday, May 6, 2017
9:00 am - 12:00 Noon
(Breakfast will be provided)

National Federation of the Blind Headquarters
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Please RSVP by April 29th if you plan on attending, so we can let the
caterer know how much food to prepare.

Contact Patty Homan-Eitington at 202-390-0375 (patriciahoman01 at hotmail.com
<mailto:patriciahoman01 at hotmail.com> ) or
Melba Taylor at 240-381-1637 (m.taylor at EncoreAssoc.com
<mailto:m.taylor at EncoreAssoc.com> )

3.       Do you need powerful binocular glasses?
If you would like to have a set of binocular glasses to help you see movies,
TV or read information from a chalkboard, etc., contact Steve Sopel.  Steve
is looking for a good home for a set of these Beecher 7 glasses.  Call him
at  410-982-3091.

Sharon Maneki, President
410-715-9596
blindness is not what holds you back.