[MD-AtLarge] Library Update on Teleconference and Great American Read!

Ashley Biggs -LBPH- ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov
Mon Aug 27 16:44:54 UTC 2018

Hello everyone! Hope you had a great weekend.

*Teleconference Program Information:*
As promised, I'm attaching presenter notes from our Voting 101/Voting
Accessibility Teleconference last week. Our presenters were Ralph Watkins
of the League of Women Voters <https://www.lwvmd.org/>; Erin Perrone
<erin.perrone at maryland.gov> and Courtney Bryant
<cortnee.bryant at maryland.gov> of the State Board of Elections. The program
was not recorded, but all three of our presenters were kind enough to share
their notes with us! It was a great event, filled with a lot of
information! I have attached them in PDF format - if you need them in Word
format, please let me know offlist.

Additionally, Ms. Lou Anne Blake from the National Federation of the Blind
would like to make additional resources available for Blind and Low
Vision voters. The direct link to this information is
https://nfb.org/hava-legislation. There you will find a wealth of
information, including a video on the Blind Voter's experience. You will
also find voting guides in BRF, Word, and Audio formats, in both English
and Spanish.

*Great American Read Information: *
The library is excited to be part of the Great American Read program
<https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/>. This program is a
literacy initiative hosted by PBS and hopes to have Americas vote on the
country's all-time favorite book. This is an interactive event that is held
online and on television!

Here is how it works:

   - Read through the list of 100 books selected by PBS - see which titles
   you've read and which you've haven't. We are attaching the list for your
   review.
   - Read new books, revisit old favorites
   - Vote on your favorite book; Voting is held open and will continue from
   now until October 18th at Midnight.

How to vote:

   - Patrons can visit https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/vote/ to
   place their vote via PBS's website. The website is designed to have the
   look and feel of an application, so it is very responsive to mobile
   devices. You will need to register with PBS in order to cast your vote.
   It's easy and it's free.
   - If you'd prefer, you can vote via Facebook or Twitter using the
   official hashtag of the book you've chosen. Each book has an official
   hashtag found beneath the book on the attached list. To vote, either make
   an original post on the social media platforms OR comment on the
official PBS
   Great American Read Facebook page
   <https://www.facebook.com/GreatAmericanReadPBS/>.
   - You can also vote via SMS with one of the unique hashtags for the
   book. Just send an SMS to 97979 with your hashtag vote, and you'll have
   voted! Standard data rates apply.
   - In September, PBS will have a toll free call-in method of voting as
   well.

You are able to vote once per day, per voting method. That means if you
vote for #VOTEBESTROMANCEEVER (not a real title), you can vote via
Facebook, Text, and the Website - but only once per day.

We also are encouraging our patrons to watch the PBS specials associated
with the Great American Read. The videos will be added to the PBS website
<https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/watch/> as they become
available. The television series launches September 11th at 8:00 PM. The
direct link to the videos:
https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/watch/

*The results will be announced on October 23rd on PBS!*

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Best,

Ashley

--

*Ashley M. Biggs*
*Outreach Librarian*

410-230-2430 (office) | 667-209-1563 (cell) | 410-333-2095 (fax)
ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov

http://www.lbph.maryland.gov

Click here
<http://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSDE&SurveyID=86M2956>
complete a three-question customer experience survey.