[MD-AtLarge] February Minute Message

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 21:40:09 UTC 2018

February 2018 Minute Message.

Fellow Federationists,

Raising Expectations in Washington

As you know, Blindness does not define you or your future. We had a very
successful Washington seminar where we raised expectations so that we can
live the lives we want. Thanks to our efforts, Congressman Ruppersberger is
now a co-sponsor of HR1772, Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher
Education Act, and HR1734, Access Technology Affordability Act, and senator
Van Hollen agreed to co-sponsor S2138, the companion Accessible
Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act. Both Maryland senators were
already co-sponsoring S732, the Access Technology Affordability Act. Our
work is not complete, we must get the remaining congressmen to co-sponsor
these important bills.

Although HR620, the ADA Education and Reform Act passed in the House, we are
very pleased that all of Maryland's Congressmen, with the exception of Andy
Harris, voted against this bill.  Congressman Elijah Cummings was not
present so did not vote on the bill.  We will work to make sure that this
bill does not pass in the Senate.

Raising Expectations in Annapolis

During the weeks of February 19 and February 26, there will be hearings on
all of our four Annapolis issues. We need lots of help. Check with your
chapter president for specific instructions on transportation and specific
hearing dates. It is up to us to restore the right to a secret ballot to
disabled voters in Maryland. We must establish a remote access information
service for Deaf-Blind people in Maryland. We must persevere in our struggle
to get Maryland to enforce the law concerning nonvisual access to state
government. Please be sure to get lots of letters in so that the Maryland
General Assembly will recognize the importance of these issues.

Three Fun Fundraisers

Would you like to win the Amazon Echo, the Dot, Smart plugs, and special
lightbulbs so that you could instruct your device to turn the lights on or
off?  This is only one example of the raffle prizes at Basket Bingo.  You
will also have the opportunity to win money and many baskets filled with
delicious foods and many items to fulfill every wish.  Please call me or
send me an email if you need a Braille or large print Bingo card.  Get your
tickets today so that you will be part of the fun on March 9.

Don't miss an afternoon of songs, stories and connecting for a cause -
Sunday, March 25, from 3 to 5 pm.  The talented Melissa Riccobono will
perform popular and folk music with audience sing-a-longs.  Have an
enjoyable afternoon while raising money for the NFB BELL Academy programs in
Maryland.  Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door.  Contact Melissa
Riccobono at melissa at riccobono.us.

Get ready for a nice evening out.  Join us on April 7 from 5 to 9 pm for our
Bid-for-Opportunity dinner and auction to benefit the John. T. McCraw
Scholarship Program and NFBMD youth activities.  The event will take place
at the VFW Post 9619, 6527 Suitland Rd, Morningside, MD 20746.  For more
information contact Debbie Brown, deborahb14 at verizon.net, or Michelle Clark
mcikeyc at aol.com <mailto:mcikeyc at aol.com> .

Board of Directors Meeting

Everyone is cordially invited to attend the NFBMD Board of Directors meeting
on March 24.  The meeting will begin promptly at 9:30 am.  Lunch is $15.
The location is Advent Funeral Home, Community Room (enter from back parking
lot), address is 9013 Annapolis Road, Lanham, MD 20706.  Many thanks to the
National Harbor Chapter for hosting this meeting.

Important Dates for 2018

March 9th - Basket Bingo at The Lodge, 2832 9 Mile Circle, Catonsville, MD.

March 24th - Board of Directors Meeting, 9:30am. The location is Advent
Funeral Home, Community Room (enter from back parking lot), address is 9013
Annapolis Road, Lanham, MD 20706.

March 25th - Recital and Sing-A-Long, benefiting NFBBELL Academy, Jernigan
Institute, 200 East Wells St., Baltimore, MD 21230.

March 31st - Deadline for National Scholarship Applications.

April 7th - Bid-for-Opportunity Dinner and Auction, to benefit John. T.
McCraw Scholarship Program and NFBMD Youth Activities. VFW Post 9619, 6527
Suitland Rd, Morningside, MD 20746.

April 15th - Deadline for NFBMD Scholarship Applications.

June 2nd - Board of Directors Meeting. Location to be announced.

June 3rd - 6-K Dot Dash for Braille Literacy, 200 East Well Street,
Baltimore, MD.

July 3-8th - NFB National Convention, Orlando, FL.

July 29 - August 4 - NFB EQ for blind high-school students. Go to
http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq.

August 4th - Annual Crab Feast, Columbus Gardens, Baltimore, MD.

November 9-11th - Annual State Convention, Carousel Hotel, Ocean City, MD.

Sharon Maneki, President

410-715-9596

blindness is not what holds you back.