[MD-AtLarge] Meeting reminder and minutes

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 14 13:37:00 UTC 2019

Hello all,

The next meeting of the At-large chapter will be on Tuesday, October 15.
The national president's message begins at 7:30pm and the meeting is from
8pm-9pm.  Since our meeting takes place on white cane awareness day, Chris
Danielson will talk about the white cane law, the purpose of this day and he
will share some of his travels as a blind person.  We will also talk about
the state convention and more! The call in number is 605-313-4818.  The
access code is 720125.  Please read the minutes below and make sure you come
to the call to get the latest information about the convention.

At Large Chapter Meeting Minutes for September 17, 2019

The Presidential release was played at 7:30 PM

The meeting was started at 8:00 PM by Margarete Woods President

Approximately 10 members on the call

October is meet the blind month and the At Large chapter will be holding an
Afternoon at the movies at the national headquarters on October 12th.  They
will be showing the movie called Scent of a woman.

$10 donation, $5 lunch, other snacks to purchase, and a 50/50 raffle

Daniel Johnson stated that the movie will be shown in Hagerstown on October
9th.

A Senior Center in Baltimore which has four locations have asked the At
large chapter to come out and speak to them about blindness.

Carla McQuillan is our guest speaker tonight. She is our national
representative for the state convention. She joined the NFB after applying
for a scholarship. She runs 3 Montessori schools in Oregon. It's a hands-on
sensory teaching method. Carla explained how she dealt with parents who
thought a blind person couldn't teach their child.

Daniel asked What does the national rep do, and Carla's answer was to do
whatever the president asks them to do, bring the national report to the
state convention, and do the banquet speech. Sharon, Ronza, and Carla shared
stories from past state and national conventions that they attended
together.

State Convention is November 8th through 10th at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in
Baltimore.  Deadline to preregister and reserve a hotel room is October
12th.

Submitted by Danielle Earl

Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy

410-715-9596

blindness is not what holds you back.