[Md-sligo] FW: Fall 2010 Saturday Adaptive Technology programs in Rockville; gilmaf

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Tue Sep 7 15:42:44 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: MCPL DRCINFO [mailto:drcinfo at montgomerycountymd.gov]
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:49 PM
To: Brown, Debbie
Subject: Fall 2010 Saturday Adaptive Technology programs in Rockville; gilmaf

Thanks to those who responded to our request for topic suggestions! Here are the Saturday Adaptive Technology Sessions for the fall of 2010, followed by directions to the Rockville Memorial Library -- you are welcome to all sessions that interest you.   Please note that the November session on smartphones is the 3rd saturday, not our regular fourth.

Saturday, Sept. 25, 1-3 p.m.  Speech recognition tools: how to dictate to your computer or device.  If you are interested in this program, please let us know what questions and interetss you have at drcinfo at montgomerycountymd.gov

Saturday, Oct. 23, 1-3 p.m.    Downloading books:   where to find books online, how to download to the NLS player and Victor Reader Stream.

Saturday, Nov. 20 (3rd Saturday, before Thanksgiving), 1-3 p.m.  Smart phones - latest information about accessible models.

The programs are free, and no registration is necessary.  The location is the Rockville Library, 21 Maryland Ave. in the Rockville Town Center, at the corner of Beall Ave..  Here are directions to the Rockville Library in the following order: by bus; by Metro, by car from various directions, orienting from drop off on Maryland and Beall, and free parking information.

By Bus
Take Ride On Bus #55 in the direction of  the Germantown Transit Center from the Rockville Metro Station to the stop at E. Middle Lane and Maryland Avenue.

By Metro (Red Line)
Metro to Rockville stop.  Cross Route 355 at East Middle Lane, or you may take the Pedestrian bridge at the  Metro stop. (If  you take the Pedestrian Overpass, turn right on Monroe Street and continue to East Middle Lane.) Continue on East Middle Lane to Maryland Avenue.  Turn right onto Maryland Avenue.  The library is on the plaza on your left at 21 Maryland Avenue.

By Car From:
North (Gaithersburg Area) Go South on Route 355 to East Middle Lane. Turn right on Middle Lane and right on Maryland Ave. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on the left.

Alternative: South on I-270 to Falls Road exit (#5 to Rockville Town Center.) Follow Maryland Avenue arrows. Go straight through the first traffic light after you cross back over I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

South (Bethesda Area) Go North on Route 355 to East Middle Lane. Left on Middle Lane and right onto Maryland Ave. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

Alternative: North on I-270 to Falls Road exit (#5 to Rockville Town Center.) Follow Maryland Avenue arrows. Go straight through the first traffic light after you leave I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

West (Potomac Area) Take Falls Road toward Rockville. Go straight through the first traffic light after you cross I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

West (Virginia) Take the Beltway I-495 across the American Legion Bridge at Cabin John to Route I-270. Go north on I-270 to the Falls Road exit (#5 to Rockville Town Center.) Go straight through the first traffic light after you leave I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

East (Wheaton Area) Go West on Randolph Road to Veirs Mill. Turn right on Veirs Mill. When Veirs Mill crosses Rockville Pike(355), take Rockville Pike to East Middle Lane. Left on East Middle Lane and right on Maryland Avenue. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

East (Prince George's County)  Take the beltway I-495 west toward I-270. Take I-270 to the Falls Road exit (#5 to the Rockville Town Center.) Go straight through the first traffic light after your leave I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

Orienting from drop off and pick up:  On Maryland Ave., drop off is at a pull-off beside the Plaza across from Austin Grill.  The Library entrance is under a canopy about 50' from the street.  The easiest path is to go toward the Thai Pavillion Restaurant and follow along the wall to the library entrance on the right.  There is an automatic door opener on the left side of the glass doors (away from Maryland Ave.).  The lobby is about 40' long (restrooms and elevator on the left, the first floor meeting room is on the right).  Another set of glass doors (automatic opener on the wall to the left) open to the library.  The Return/Circulation Desk is straight ahead.  The Information desk is to the right of the staircase.  The Computer Lab is on the second floor.  There is also a library entrance on Beall Ave. about 10 feet from the curb.  After the first set of doors there are 3 steps going down to doors into the library.

Parking at the Rockville Library:

We have three nerarby garages:

--215 North Washington Street Garage.
--355 Garage across from the library on Maryland, entrance is beside the Verizon store.
--30 Maryland Avenue Garage, across from the library on Maryland, entrance beside Austin Grill and Golds's Gym.

During the week parking costs $1.00 per hour.  On Saturdays parking costs $1.00 for the entire day.  Sunday parkign is free.

Parking for Individuals with Disabilities in Rockville Town Center:

On-street spaces for disabled parking are available throughout Town Center. These locations include northbound Maryland Avenue at the intersection with East Montgomery Avenue, south-bound Maryland Avenue next to the Rockville Library in Town Square, eastbound Courthouse Square and southbound Monroe Street, south of East Montgomery Avenue. There is no charge for disabled parking in designated spaces in surface lots, garages or on-street locations. Per City ordinance, vehicles displaying valid disability tags or placards may also park at any metered space for free.

Metered on-street parking is available throughout Town Center. The rate is 25 cents per 15 minutes. Meters accept quarters and prepaid parking cards, which may be purchased at the Cashier's office on the third floor of Rockville City Hall at 111 Maryland Avenue.

Francie Gilman

Rockville staff

Montgomery County Public Libraries

Rockville Library