[Md-sligo] FW: IRS Outreach Initiative - EITC Awareness Day 2012

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Mon Dec 19 20:14:38 UTC 2011

FYI
This information is for all families including grandparents who care for
grand kids.

The citizens you serve may be eligible to get more money back from the
IRS - as much as $5,751.   Many grandparents are the primary caregivers
for their grandchildren under age 19 (24 if a full time student).  If
the child lives with the grandparent for more than six months of the
year and the grandparent is receiving wages of less than $49,078, they
should explore the eligibility criteria to see if they could qualify for
this credit.

EITC is a refundable credit. When the credit amount exceeds the amount
of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund. Millions of taxpayer will
qualify for the first time in 2011 because of changes in financial,
marital or parental status. EITC is a financial boost for working people
in a recovering economy.  The local community also benefits from the
additional funds received by the families.

Free tax preparation assistance is available throughout the tax season
at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the
Elderly (TCE) sites. Your customers can call the IRS at 1-800-906-9887
for tax help locations.  I will gladly provide a site listing once
finalized for the upcoming filing season.

EITC Awareness Day - Friday, January 27, 2012

To maximize promotional coverage, the IRS is encouraging governmental
agencies and organizations to conduct EITC awareness activities
concurrently on January 27. Please consider joining with other local
organizations interested in promoting the credit. The IRS is providing
you ready-to-use EITC resources including print products, social media
messages and links to promote the credits.

Outreach Materials

*          Our Partner Toolkit provides a newsletter article, a web
article, statistics, sample news releases and "widgets" that can be used
to help promote awareness of EITC to your clients.  Widgets are portable
on-screen tools that you can place on your website to direct others to
our website.  We also have banner advertisements that can run across the
top of your website, encouraging customers to "click here" to learn more
about EITC.  We even have an audio file that can be used as an "on hold"
message on your phone.

The toolkit is available at:
http://www.eitc.irs.gov/ptoolkit/basicmaterials/#Grabngo

*          We also have EITC "stuffers" which can be used in mail out
materials.  I can order Publication 962 (attached).

*          The IRS has an on-line "EITC Assistant" that walks taxpayers
through all the questions to determine eligibility.  Currently, the EITC
Assistant can make determinations about the 2010 eligibility but we will
have the tool available for 2011 tax return use in late January.

The link is:  www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=130102,00.html

If you decide to participate in spreading the word about EITC, would you
please drop me a brief e-mail (kyle.g.roberts at irs.gov) or call me at
410-962-1735 to let me know what actions you have taken?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

If your clients have questions about EITC, they can call our toll-free
number at 1-800-829-1040.

Sincerely,

Kyle G. Roberts

Office of Governmental Liaison