[Md-sligo] Chapter picnic and other news

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Thu Aug 9 17:28:28 UTC 2012

The chapter picnic will be on August 25 at Barbara Kean's house, 19109 Bayswater Road, in Gaithersburg.

On that day, there will also be a nationwide informatiional picket of Goodwill stores from 11 to 1:00.  We have not yet made the decision about which store we will picket.  I will give you more details about how this will work out.  We will make arrangements about managing the picnic and making sure picnic food gets to the picnic.  If you want to picket with us, we will be carrying signs and talking to people about subminimum wage work.  If you want to participate, you should be able to stand and walk in whatever weather we have that day for two hours.

I would like to thank everyone who has been helping with the BELL program.  Thanks to Yasmin, Janice, Lloyd, Tom, Barbara, and Judy for serving as volunteers and teaching blindness-related lessons.  We received help from Ava Ferebee, Harold Hays, Ray Smith, and Sharon Maneki.  Judy has worked especially hard as materials and logistics coordinator to make sure that people and materials are where they are supposed to be.  Unless you have worked with the program, you have no idea how much stuff is required to put this on.  Also, continuous communication with parents and teachers is required.  We have a wonderful bunch of students, and we have met some people we would not otherwise have known--and we will be thinking about next year.  Because we are a little wiser now, we will be distributing more jobs, and we hope not so much will be put on one person's shoulders as happened this year.

Thank you all!