[Md-sligo] FW: Job Club for people with and without disabilities, April - July, 2013, dates and times

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Mon Apr 8 14:56:08 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Timony, James (DCPL) [mailto:James.Timony at dc.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:09 PM
To: Timony, James (DCPL)
Subject: Job Club for people with and without disabilities, April - July, 2013, dates and times

The Adaptive Services Division of DC Public Library and the DC Department of Disability Services are working together to sponsor Job Club for people with and without disabilities that will meet in the Adaptive Services Division, room 215, at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, twice a month for a seven-session pilot program lasting from April, 2013 to the end of July, 2013.  The sessions will be offered in American Sign Language on two Monday afternoons per month, and then with a focus on accessibility for screen reader and screen magnification users, on two Friday afternoons per month, then on the second Tuesday evening of each month starting in May for people who can only make it at night. Dates and times are below. The Job Club is an opportunity for job seekers to support each other, network, and work towards employment.

Because this is our first time running a job club we are going to make the structure informal to start.  Each meeting will start with a group discussion on a pre-selected topic, with no formal presentation but rather the opportunity for more experienced members of the community to offer advice.  The topic of each session is listed below.  After group discussion there will be time for individual work in our Adaptive Workstation Lab, with one-on-one help as much as is possible, and facilitated break-out groups.

The Job Club topics will include the following:
1. Adaptive, Social and Job-related Technologies, Local Wiki for resource sharing 2. What are my skills?  What do I like to do?
3. Marketing strategies - Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch etc.
4. Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls 5. Interviews - Dress for success, fielding questions, mock interviews 6. Decision making, clarifying priorities, detmining fit and salary, negotiating salary 7. Continuing the search, staying employed, dealing with unemployment, Making it routine

The dates and times for the sessions delivered in American Sign Language are all on Mondays from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm:
*  Monday, April 8th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Adaptive, Social and Job-related Technologies, Local Wiki for resource sharing *  Monday, April 22nd (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): What are my skills?  What do I like to do?
*  Monday, May 13th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Marketing strategies - Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch etc.
*  Monday, May 20th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls *  Monday, June 3rd (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Interviews - Dress for success, fielding questions, mock interviews *  Monday, June 24th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Decision making, clarifying priorities, determining fit and salary, negotiating salary *  Monday, July 15th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) (in ASL): Continuing the search, staying employed, dealing with unemployment, Making it routine

The dates and times for the sessions delivered with a focus on accessibility for screenreader and screen magnification users are two Fridays a month from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

*  Friday, April 12th (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) :  Adaptive, Social and Job-related Technologies, Local Wiki for resource sharing *  Friday, April 26th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : What are my skills?  What do I like to do?
*  Friday, May 10th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : Marketing strategies - Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch etc.
*  Friday, May 24th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls *  Friday, June 14th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : Interviews - Dress for success, fielding questions, mock interviews *  Friday, June 28th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : Decision making, clarifying priorities, detmining fit and salary, negotiating salary *  Friday, July 19th  (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm) : Continuing the search, staying employed, dealing with unemployment, Making it routine

We will also have three professional-level employment-related meetups for people who can not make it during the day, on the second Tuesday of each month (starting in May) from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.  These meetings will be ASL interpreted.  The dates are:

*  Tuesday, May 14 (6:30 pm to 8:30 pm) : What are my skills?  What do I like to do? Marketing strategies - Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch etc.
*  Tuesday, June 11 (6:30 pm to 8:30 pm) : Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls, Interviews - Dress for success, fielding questions, mock interviews *  Tuesday, July 9 (6:30 pm to 8:30 pm) : Decision making, clarifying priorities, detmining fit and salary, negotiating salary, Continuing the search, staying employed, dealing with unemployment, Making it routine

Job Clubs have been successful in other locations across the country.  Please see the link for details. https://partnerships.workforce3one.org/page/job_clubs

Facilitators will include: Patrick Timony, Librarian, Adaptive Technology at DC Public Library and Janice Rosen, Librarian for the Deaf Community at DC Public Library, and possibly others.

Thanks,
Patrick Timony
Janice Rosen

James Patrick Timony