[Md-sligo] Discrimination Claim and Loophole

Henry Osborne hosbornejr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:35:20 UTC 2016

Hello to my fellow federationists;
I just had a battle with a Supervisor at the Regency taxi Company of Montgomery County concerning a case of discrimination that Terry Powers, my Guide Dog, and I experienced on friday afternoon, the 12th of August.
We were trying to come home from the Pet Smart store in Gathersburgh. Terry ccalled a cab for us, and clearly told the dispatcher that we had a Service Animal with us. When the driver arrived, he loudly said “I am not taking that dog in my car. And, you can call for another cab.”
We and several witnesses told him that he was breaking the law, and that it was a case of discrimination against us and my dog.
I called the cab company, and was told by a dispatcher that they could not tell me the name of the driver or the cab number because it was “Not their policy to do so.”
I finally got a hold of a supervisor today, and was told that “Their drivers are contracted to drive for them, and have the right to refuse anyone with a pet or service animal in their cars.”
No other drivers from this company have ever refused to take us and my dog, and they have all said that it is against the law for any driver to discriminate against a disabled person with or without a service animal.
I have already placed a complaint with the Montgomery County 311 system who will supposedly forward it on to the Maryland Department of Transportation, and I am waiting to hear back from president meneckie, I am also going to forward this complaint on to National Headquarters.
I am advising all of my friends to boycott regency Cab Company.
Thank you all for your time.
henry Osborne Jr.