[Md-sligo] Death of National Harbor Chaptor Member

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Fri Jul 15 12:32:07 UTC 2016

Michelle, pleast keep us informed about funeral arrangements.  Harold was a quiet and consistent worker in the Federation.  He worked hard for the BELL program, and we will miss him there.  He came several days and was one of the people who saw to it that things ran smoothly.  Part of BELL is direct work with the students.  Another part of BELL or almost any program is all the administrative and logistical things.  Someone must go to the office to make sure we have a bus for the field trip.  Someone must help get supplies downstairs if we are having a special activity in the cafeteria or on the playground.  It is good to have another hand to go to the bathroom (not very close to the room) to empty water from an ice chest or get towels to clean the room after a messy activity.  Blind volunteers do this as well, of course, but sometimes we are all busy, and Harold cheerfully performed these tasks and many others I’m not thinking of.  Harold spent a lot of his time waiting for MetroAccess to bring a new member to the meeting so that the person could get to the meeting room.  Michelle, as president of the National harbor chapter, makes a special effort to thank all members, not just those in the public eye, at her chapter anniversaries, but there never seem to be enough thank-yous for all the little jobs that go into an organization.  Harold did many of the least glorious jobs.  We will miss him.

Debbie