[Md-sligo] FW: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Mon Jun 13 15:03:13 UTC 2016

FYI

[Yasmin Reyazuddin ]
This Wednesday, June 15th, the Maryland Department of Aging is commemorating World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) and we are asking you to join us in wearing PURPLE on Wednesday to show your support.
Did you know that every day 10,000 people turn 65 in the US alone?  That trend is going to continue for nearly the next 20 years.  Our demographics are shifting, and we will soon have more older people in the US than ever before.  At the same time that the population is growing, we know that a startling number of elders face abusive conditions.  Every year an estimated 5 million, or 1 in 10, older Americans are victims of elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. And that's only part of the picture: Experts believe that for every case of elder abuse or neglect reported, as many as 23.5 cases go unreported.
WEAAD serves as a call-to-action for individuals, organizations, and communities to raise awareness about abuse, neglect, and exploitation of elders. The International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization at the United Nations (UN) launched the first World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) on June 15, 2006 in an effort to unite communities around the world in raising awareness about elder abuse.
Here is a sample FACEBOOK post to show your support of this effort, "Today I am wearing a purple to honor survivors of elder abuse and taking to Facebook to raise awareness. Won't you join me? What are you doing to commemorate WEAAD? #WEAAD2016"
If you would like more information about elder abuse or to check out events being held across the state: http://aging.maryland.gov/Pages/WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay.aspx
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is June 15<http://aging.maryland.gov/Pages/WorldElderAbuseAwarenessDay.aspx>
aging.maryland.gov
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) serves as a call-to- action for individuals, organizations, and communities to raise awareness about abuse, neglect, and ...

Dina L. Gordon
Deputy Secretary
Maryland Department of Aging
301 W. Preston Street, Suite 1007