[Md-sligo] Hello from LBPH!

Ashley Biggs -LBPH- ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov
Wed Feb 28 17:00:56 UTC 2018

Hi everyone!

Downloading books to your Victor Reader Stream is pretty easy. First, you
must have an NLS BARD account. If you do not have an NLS Bard account,
please visit www.nlsbard.loc.gov and complete the on-screen instructions
for an account. If you've had an account in the past, you reset your
password there.

After that, you will need to connect your Victor Reader to your BARD
account.

To add a purchased player, you must log in to their BARD account and select
the ‘Update account settings’ link towards the bottom of the main page.
Next, select the ‘add a purchased player’ link and follow the instructions
on the page.

Once the library has received and approved the request, the system will
generate an email notifying the manufacturer.  Each manufacturer has a
slightly different process for handling these requests; in most cases, the
patron will receive an email from the manufacturer requesting the player’s
serial number.  Once the serial number is received, the manufacturer will
send another email with a ‘security key’ and instructions for loading the
key onto the player.

Once the player has been added to the account, you will need to follow
these steps:

Go to the NLS BARD site at https://nlsbard.loc.gov/ Log into the website by
entering your NLS username and password. Note that both of these are case
sensitive.

After login, you will be on the screen to choose books or magazines. You
can search for books by title, author, subject, or keyword. You can find
magazines by title or issue date. The different sections of the page are
marked with headings. Individual books are also separated by heading
markers making it easy to jump from one book to the next with the heading
shortcut keys of your screen reader. The site also has a link to get help
on how to search for books and magazines.

Once you arrive at your chosen book simply click or press ENTER on its
download link.

Your computer will ask if you want to OPEN or SAVE the book. Specify to
SAVE It.

Your computer will then ask where you want to save the downloaded book. The
book download is a single ZIP file containing all the necessary files for
the book. Choose a desired location on your computer where you want to save
NLS books and select the Save button. The download window will then open
showing the progress of the download. After the zip book is downloaded you
will need to unzip and transfer it from your computer to the SD card. See
the section, Transferring ZIP Books to the Stream.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Ashley

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Frederick Kamara via MD-Sligo <
md-sligo at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> How can I download books into my Victor Stream Reader?  Thanks.
>
> Fred.
>

> Frederick Kamara
>
> Chairman and Chief commissioner
>
> National Commission for Persons with Disability (NCPD)
>

> 22A Old Railway Line Tengbbeh Town Freetown
>

> +23278709300 <+232%2078%20709300>

410-230-2430 (office) | 410-333-2095 (fax)
ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov

http://www.lbph.maryland.gov