[Md-sligo] Karen Johnson and Friends - Benefit Concert! Don't Miss It!!!

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Thu Apr 18 15:44:25 UTC 2019

[Yasmin Reyazuddin ] Hi all
[Yasmin Reyazuddin ] This concert is for Aisha and other children like her. Please support  and maybe we will find other children.
Hello everyone,  Please see below the invitation.  Please forward to friends and family. Thank you and look forward to seeing you there.

IMPORTANT CORRECTION:
1.  Make checks payable NOT to “For Children, For Peace”,
But to:   Mary Liepold or Vijay Rajan  (who are acting as Trustees)
2.  Please write “For Children, For Peace” on the memo line of your check.
The above changes are necessitated by new bank rules.
3.  Mail to:   Vijay Rajan, 1801 Sherwood Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20902.
4.  If you prefer to direct deposit, we can send you the Routing Number and the Bank Account Number.
5. Can’t attend?  Show your support by mailing your contribution.

My Dear Friends,  I’m so excited about this program:  The uplifting (FUN) music, my wonderful colleagues and this amazing opportunity….Love, Karen
For Children, For Peace  - A Concert of Hope
 Sunday, April 28, 2019  5:00 pm
Annunciation Catholic Church, 3810 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20016
 featuring
Brian Ganz
Internationally-acclaimed pianist  &
Dancing Heart
Karen Johnson, flute
Manny Arciniega, percussion, Chris Brown, electric bass,  Frank Conlon, piano
Her parents and grandparents, siblings and a few cousins packed themselves into the car. Which road to take? In Afghanistan, that day, it was the wrong one. A drone bombed their car. Four-year-old Jwandune was the only survivor. Alive, but badly injured, she lost both eyes, one hand, and part of her nose. Today Jwandune (her name means “life”) lives in the Metro DC area with her adoptive family.  She is a shy, intelligent girl of nine, fluent in English and Pashtun. She loves school and sings in the choir. Surgeons have rebuilt her face and given her artificial eyes to make her appearance socially acceptable. Though blind, she navigates her world well.  Her adoptive mother notes that the US military paid for much of her medical care and some reconstructive surgery, but more operations and expenses lie ahead.
 “Music, sound itself, is one of the most powerful mediums known to humankind,” says Karen Johnson.  When Karen met Jwandune and her adoptive family, compassion and love of music combined to become this benefit concert. All the participating musicians—Brian and Dancing Heart—are donating their talents for this courageous girl’s future. Your contributions will primarily support Jwandune’s future surgeries and her education. A portion will also go to Save the Children, a global nonprofit organization founded 100 years ago, to provide hope for children who survive conflict and violence.
Suggested minimum donation is $25; your generous contribution will be gratefully accepted.
Chat with the artists and friends at a reception in the church hall after the concert.
For more information, visit www.karenflute.com<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.karenflute.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7CYasmin.Reyazuddin%40montgomerycountymd.gov%7C9192036632dd462f366a08d6c410d737%7C6e01b1f9b1e54073ac97778069a0ad64%7C0%7C0%7C636911973942879017&sdata=qdVjTtshVaVovOHOXVYv69QcyHm91GqY4zFNoI4Y37U%3D&reserved=0>.
Can’t attend?  Show your support by mailing your contribution.
Make check payable to “For Children, For Peace” & mail to
Vijay Rajan, Tr., 1801 Sherwood Road, Silver Spring MD 20902
THANK YOU!