[MD-Sligo] JAWS OCR

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Fri Apr 3 15:51:30 UTC 2020

JAWS OCRI know that this listserv should not become a screen-reader support list. However, I think that people have not really tapped the power of whatever they are using, be it JAWS, NVDA or Narrator. So I am answering Debbie’s question here on the list in what I might call a “structured discovery” mode. I have only used JAWS for 3 years, after the demise of Window-Eyes (with which I am writing this message).
Debbie’s question was:  How do I get JAWS to read a PDF document?
I think that this is what Freedom Scientific calls one of their layered keystrokes. To find out what options are available with these, the last keystroke should be a question mark.
Layered keystrokes start with insert-spacebar. So insert-space questionmark tells you about all the options of insert-space, of which there are many.
OCR is insert-space, O, which in turn has several options. I think for a PDF document you want insert-space, O, D.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD