[MD-Sligo] May Chapter Minutes

terrinettles at comcast.net terrinettles at comcast.net
Sun May 28 20:32:34 UTC 2023

Please let me know of any additions or corrections.

National Federation of the Blind

Sligo Creek  Chapter Minutes

May 13, 2023

  This meeting is being held via Zoom.

The meeting was called to order by President Debbie Brown at 11:03 AM. with
26 in attendance.

There were introductions.

Judy then read the April minutes, a motion was made to accept the minutes
with corrections and the motion carried.

Ben Danforth presented the treasurer's report with a balance of $1,398.38 a
motion was made to accept the report and seconded and the motion carried.

Dan then played the Presidential Report.

Bake sale: Debbie stated that if we could find Giant Grocery stores that
would allow us to have our bake sale, we would need bakers.

There were quite a few people who volunteered to be bakers.

Debbie talked about the different divisions in NFB for the benefit of newer
members and as a refesher for seasoned members. Debbie thank everyone who
went to Annapolis and participated. She talked about the two bills we have
been working on: the Accessible Prescription Labels Bill and the Retired
Guide Dog in housing bill. Comments were made by some members regarding
accessible prescription labels such as CVS Caremark, Envision America and
James Pharmacy.

Carla Gilbright has been nominated as EEOC. We discussed Global Accessible
Awareness Day regarding Section 508 and on June 15th is career mentoring
Day. These two events will be held on Zoom.

National Convention: There are some slots available for those who are in
pre-employment status beginning their career.

Then there was discussion whether to hold meetings alternating each month
between in-person and on Zoom  which is currently what we are doing or
strictly  in-person. A vote was then taken and the result was to keep it as
is. Debbie went over some details regarding the scholarship dinner for
tonight.  Volunteers are needed to help at the auction tables, selling
raffle tickets and someone to help escort folks from their transportation to
their table.

She also said that some of the scholarship winners will be attending.
Debbie mentioned that Ben's and Queen's families and friends raised a little
over $4,000 for the scholarships.

The Gaithersburg Book Festival at Aurora Park will be held Saturday May 27.
DEBBIE is looking for volunteers to help out.

Jeff Baer talked about the book club he is starting. The first meeting will
be May 27th at 4:00 PM via Conference call. The book that will be discussed
is I Eliza Hamilton. Jeff will send out the BARD number and the conference
call information. He also gave out his contact information as well.

Michell Lindsay will be receiving the Pauline Johnson Award at our June
meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:53 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Terri Nettles, Secretary