[MD-Sligo] Sligo Creek Chapter Book Club - Announcement of upcoming books for discussion!

Jeff Baer jabaer811 at outlook.com
Thu Sep 21 00:59:10 UTC 2023

Dear all Sligo Creek Chapter Members,
At our Sligo Creek book club meeting this past weekend, the club discussed one book and then laid out our schedule for upcoming books that we will tackle together. All Chapter members are invited to join us as desired for any or all of the books. Just let me know if you would like to be added to the list of book club members who receive the call-in numbers and reminders.
All book details for the books mentioned in this e-mail can be found at towards end of the message. Our upcoming book schedule is:

  1.  Sunday, October 8 at 2:30 pm is the time we will meet virtually to discuss the book titled "The Restaurant". It is a shorter read about sisters thrown together into an unusual situation, and is already getting good reviews from the book club members who have finished it.
  2.  Our November book discussion (date and time to be determined) will be on "Touch the top of the world: a blind man's journey to climb farther than the eye can see: my story " by Erik Wehenmayer. The book club chose this book, which most of us will read during the month of October, in honor of October being Blind Equality Achievement Month.
  3.  Our December book discussion (date and time to be determined) will be on "I am Malala: How one girl stood up for education and changed the world " by Malala Yousafza
  4.
Our January book discussion will cover Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers" by author: Jesse Q. Sutanto
Book summaries and more details to help in finding the books is just below. All books can be accessed for free via the NLS BARD system!

 If you are interested in joining our book club, please contact me, Jeff Baer, at jabaer811 at outlook.com or via cell phone at (410)499-0143

Book Details section:

  1.  The Restaurant" by Pamela M. Kelley. BARD/NLS info: DB#101174, Duration = 5 hours and 33 minutes. Yes, it's also available via Amazon's Audible subscription service, in addition to BARD/NLS.

Good Reads Description: "Three sisters. An inherited Nantucket restaurant. One year before they can sell. Mandy, Emma and Jill are as close as three sisters who live hundreds of miles apart can be. They grew up together on Nantucket, but Mandy is the only one that stayed.
Jill lives a glamorous life in Manhattan as a co-owner of a successful executive search firm. Never married, she is in her mid-thirties and lives in a stunning, corner condo with breathtaking views of the city and Hudson river. Everyone thinks there's something going on with her partner, Nick, because as a workaholic, she spends more time with him than anyone else. But there's never been anything but friendship between them and Nick loves being a bachelor in NYC.
Emma lives in Arizona and is an elementary school teacher and aspiring photographer. She met her college professor husband, Peter, in grad school and they've been married for over fifteen years. In recent years, she's noticed that Peter has grown distant. But when he shares a surprising secret, she doesn't see it coming and her world is turned upside down.
Mandy followed her high school boyfriend, Cory to Boston College, and after graduation, they married and Cory joined a successful hedge fund in Boston, while Mandy stayed home and had two children, Blake and Brooke. They moved home to Nantucket when Cory opened a competing hedge fund. Now that the children are older, Mandy is eager to do more than coordinate local charity events. But Cory doesn't want her to work. He thinks it doesn't reflect well on him and appearances are everything to Cory. Though when Mandy finds a second cell phone in his gym bag, she begins to question what is really going on.
When their beloved grandmother, Ethel Ferguson passes peacefully in her sleep a week before her ninety-ninth birthday, she leaves them quite a surprise. In addition to her Nantucket home, they learn that she was the silent owner of Mimi's Place, one of Nantucket's most popular year-round restaurants.
There is of course, a catch--she left the restaurant equally to Mandy, Emma, and Jill--and also to Paul, the restaurant chef for the past fifteen years.
And before they can sell, all three girls must work at the restaurant for one year--or their shares of the restaurant will go to Paul. The same Paul that broke one of their hearts many years ago."

2) Erik Wehenmayer's, "Touch the top of the world: a blind man's journey to climb farther than the eye can see: my story "
Duration: 12 hours and 3 minutes:
DB 51505 (also available via Amazon's Audible subscription service)
Good Reads description:
"Erik Weihenmayer was born with retinoschisis, a degenerative eye disorder that would leave him blind by the age of thirteen. But Erik was determined to rise above this devastating disability and lead a fulfilling and exciting life.
In this poignant and inspiring memoir, he shares his struggle to push past the limits imposed on him by his visual impairment-and by a seeing world. He speaks movingly of the role his family played in his battle to break through the barriers of blindness: the mother who prayed for the miracle that would restore her son's sight and the father who encouraged him to strive for that distant mountaintop. And he tells the story of his dream to climb the world's Seven Summits, and how he is turning that dream into astonishing reality (something fewer than a hundred mountaineers have done).

>From the snow-capped summit of McKinley to the towering peaks of Aconcagua and Kilimanjaro to the ultimate challenge, Mount Everest, this is a story about daring to dream in the face of impossible odds. It is about finding the courage to reach for that ultimate summit, and transforming your life into something truly miraculous."

3) "I am Malala: How one girl stood up for education and changed the world "
Author: Malala Yousafzai
Duration: 4 hours and 55 minutes
DB 79878 (also available via Amazon's Audible subscription service)
Good Reads description:
"When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I AM MALALA is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

I AM MALALA will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world."

4) "Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers"
Author: Jesse Q. Sutanto
Duration: 10 hours 44 minutes
DB# 113039  (also available via Amazon's Audible subscription service)
Good Reads description:
Put the kettle on, there’s a mystery brewing… Tea-shop owner. Matchmaker. Detective?
Sixty-year-old self-proclaimed tea expert Vera Wong enjoys nothing more than sipping a good cup of Wulong and doing some healthy ‘detective’ work on the internet (AKA checking up on her son to see if he’s dating anybody yet).
But when Vera wakes up one morning to find a dead man in the middle of her tea shop, it’s going to take more than a strong Longjing to fix things. Knowing she’ll do a better job than the police possibly could – because nobody sniffs out a wrongdoing quite like a suspicious Chinese mother with time on her hands – Vera decides it’s down to her to catch the killer.
Nobody spills the tea like this amateur sleuth."

End of Message