[MD-Sligo] The next 5 books for our Sligo Creek Book Club!

Jeff Baer jabaer811 at outlook.com
Sat Mar 16 22:32:44 UTC 2024

Dear Sligo Creek Book Club members and all Sligo Creek Chapter Members (who are always invited to join our virtual book club at any time, even if it's just for one book!),

At today's well-attended book club virtual meeting, the members selected the next set of books we will be reading together. They are (with full details such as plot descriptions and DB numbers for each book, provided at the bottom of this e-mail):

  *
"Saving Aziz" by Chad Robichaux. A book about the real-life efforts to evacuate American allies from Afghanistan after the US Military bases closed in that county. This book is already scheduled to be discussed at 1:30pm on Saturday, April 6.
  *
 "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the birth of the FBI", by David Grann.  This book is about the mysterious killings of Native Americans in an apparent effort to steal their mineral wealth. Likely to be discussed in May (a busy month of NFB activities, so it might be pushed back to June, in which case all of these approximate book months below would also slide by one month as well).
  *
"Open and Shut" by David Rosenfelt. This book is a fictional murder mystery, with the detective's sleuthing assistant being his beloved dog. It is likely to be discussed in June.
  *
 "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas. This award-winning work of fiction is widely read in area high schools, and tackles issues such as violence, racism, and growing up in modern America. It is likely to be discussed in July.
  *
"Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus. This "at times humorous, at times poignant", work of historical fiction is likely to be discussed in August.

Please e-mail questions to me, Jeff, or call me at (410) 499-0143. Let me know if you wish to be added to the official book club e-mail list.

Full Book Details Section begins: And yes, in addition to BARD/ NLS, all books are also available on Amazon's Audible service.

Our April book is: "Saving Aziz: How a mission to rescue one became a calling to rescue thousands from the Taliban" by Chad Robichaux, David L. Thomas
BARD DB #115208
duration: 6 hours and 36 minutes
Good Reads description:
"It was the right thing to do. And someone had to do it. Aziz was more than an interpreter for Force Recon Marine Chad Robichaux during Chad's eight deployments to Afghanistan. He was a teammate, brother, and friend. More than once, Aziz saved Chad's life. And then he needed Chad to save his. When President Joe Biden announced in April 2021 that the United States would be making a hasty withdrawal from Afghanistan, Robichaux knew he had to get Aziz and his family out before Taliban forces took over the country. As the rescue team began to go to work, they became aware of thousands more--US citizens, Afghan allies, women, and children--facing persecution. This gripping account of two war heroes and friends puts human hearts and names alongside the headlines of one of the most harrowing moments in our history, giving you a closer look Saving Aziz is more than a story of war and it's about breaking down prejudice and apathy--and why risking it all is worth it when it comes to loving one another."

"Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the birth of the FBI"
by David Grann
Duration: 9 hours and 6 minutes
DB: 87767
GoodReads Description:
"In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, the Osage rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.
Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. One of her relatives was shot. Another was poisoned. And this was just the beginning, as more and more Osage were dying under mysterious circumstances, and many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered.
As the death toll rose, the newly created FBI took up the case, and the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to try to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including a Native American agent who infiltrated the region, and together with the Osage began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history."

"Open and Shut" by David Rosenfelt.
DB# 61089
Duration = 7 hours and 6 minutes
Good Reads Description of "Open and Shut":
"There is nothing like a golden retriever. I know, I know, it's a big planet with a lot of wonderful things, but golden retrievers are the absolute best. Mine is named Tara... The only problem she has ever caused is that I spend so much time with her in the mornings that I am almost invariably late for work."
Whether dueling with new forensics or the local old boys' network, irreverent defense attorney Andy Carpenter always leaves them awed with his biting wit and winning fourth-quarter game plan. But Andy prefers the company of his best friend, Tara, to the people he encounters in the courtroom. Tara, a golden retriever, is clearly smarter than half the lawyers who clog the courts of Passaic County. However, just as it seems Andy has everything figured out, his dad, New Jersey's legendary ex-D.A., drops dead in front of him at a game in Yankee Stadium. The shocks pile on as he discovers his dad left him with two unexpected legacies: a fortune of $22 million that Andy never knew existed... and a murder case with enough racial tinder to burn down City Hall. Struggling to serve justice and bring honor to his father, Andy must dig up some explosive political skeletons - and an astonishing family secret that can close his case (and his mouth) for good."

"The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas
DB #87441
Duration = 11 hours and 21 minutes
GoodReads Description:
" Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life."

"Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus
DB# 107538
Duration = 11 hours and 57 minutes
GoodReads summary: Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Best Historical Fiction (2022), Winner for Best Debut Novel (2022). "Meet Elizabeth Zott: a “formidable, unapologetic and inspiring scientist in 1960s California whose career takes a detour when she becomes the unlikely star of a beloved TV cooking show.
Chemist Elizabeth Zott is not your average woman. In fact, Elizabeth Zott would be the first to point out that there is no such thing as an average woman. But it’s the early 1960s and her all-male team at Hastings Research Institute takes a very unscientific view of equality. Except for one: Calvin Evans; the lonely, brilliant, Nobel–prize nominated grudge-holder who falls in love with—of all things—her mind. True chemistry results.
But like science, life is unpredictable. Which is why a few years later Elizabeth Zott finds herself not only a single mother, but the reluctant star of America’s most beloved cooking show Supper at Six. Elizabeth’s unusual approach to cooking (“combine one tablespoon acetic acid with a pinch of sodium chloride”) proves revolutionary. But as her following grows, not everyone is happy. Because as it turns out, Elizabeth Zott isn’t just teaching women to cook. She’s daring them to change the status quo."
End of book information and e-mail.