[MD-Sligo] Chapter meeting and other information
Chikodinaka Oguledo
lovenwantintin at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 11:41:39 UTC 2026
This is Chikodinaka Oguledo.
Hello to all my Sligo people and my fellow Federationists in and outside Sligo.
I want to let you know that I will not be at this Saturday's meeting. The same time the Sligo meeting is going on, I will be at the general session of the National Federation of the Blind of DC State Convention from the morning until 5:00 PM at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle Northwest, Washington, DC, featuring speakers, lunch, and dinner after the meeting, as well as many other get-togethers.
For the Sligo Creek chapter meeting, I'm sorry I can't be there. Debbie, you can take a few donuts in my absence, even though I will not be at the meeting.
I cannot be at the Washington Plaza Hotel and at the Long Branch Library at the same time, because if I leave the Washington Plaza Hotel and go straight to the Long Branch Library, I would miss part two of the Greater DC meeting.
So unfortunately, I will not be there. But do take some donuts in my name, and enjoy the donuts wisely, because I will not be there to eat any donuts.
However, I'll do my best to be at the next in-person meeting after the October meeting. I'll give my PAC money then.
Can I just drop by sometime during the general session at the Washington Plaza Hotel, leave the hotel early, go drop off my PAC money, and then go straight back to the hotel? Because I want to give my PAC money to someone at the Sligo meeting. Do I give my PAC money to someone at the Greater DC chapter general session, or do I wait till the next in-person meeting?
I have a whole lot of PAC money to give. I'm just going to hold on to it until the next in-person meeting. You can call me and let me know when that in-person meeting is going to be, since we can't give PAC money over Zoom. You can grab my number off the list if you wish. I can't give out my number on the list. However, I'll give you my backup number if you have questions.
My backup number for you to dial is 240-342-4706. That's 240-342-4706. I'm so sorry I can't give you my cell phone number or my email address on listservs. If you want that, have the treasurer or Debbie Brown call me off list, and I will get the number for you to call me about the PAC money.
For the Sligo Creek chapter, I'm sorry I can't be at this Saturday's meeting, but have a good time, and remember me in my absence.
Remember the donuts.
Thank you.
--
Sent by talking to Lumin<https://trylumin.ai/r/email>.
From: MD-Sligo <md-sligo-bounces at nfbnet.org> on behalf of Debbie Brown via MD-Sligo <md-sligo at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, 03 October 2026 21:43:27
To: 'Sligo Creek Chapter list, NFB of Maryland' <md-sligo at nfbnet.org>
Cc: deborahb14 at verizon.net <deborahb14 at verizon.net>
Subject: [MD-Sligo] Chapter meeting and other information
Saturday’s chapter meeting will be at the Long Branch Library, 8800 Garland Avenue in Silver Spring. We have not been there in a while, and there have been some changes since we were there last. The meeting will begin at 1:30.
I would like to thank everyone who came to walk with us this morning on what was not supposed to be a rainy morning but turned out to be. We had Ben’s family and a few volunteers invited by Emily and Yasmin, as well as Judy Rasmussen, Conrad Austen, Yasmin Reyazuddin, Sharon Maneki and me. Because it was raining, we walked around the Brookside Gardens greenhouse and looked at plants. Thanks to Emily for bringing homemade goodies for us that nullified some of the benefits of the walk.
You may pay your 2027 dues online at www.nfbmd.org/dues<http://www.nfbmd.org/dues>. You may also pay by cash or check at the in-person meeting on Saturday or by sending a check to the treasurer. I will give you Ben’s address off list if you request it. Annual dues are $5; lifetime dues are $150.
We will hold elections at the November meeting on Zoom. The meeting will be at 11:00 on Saturday, November 14. This is a different time because we want everyone to be able to be ready for the dinner and auction that is the evening of the 14th. Because we will be on Zoom, please make sure you can mute and unmute your device and raise your hand if that becomes necessary.
Someone asked me about officer positions, so I will go over those. The president runs chapter meetings and takes charge of the running of the organization between meetings. The vice president takes over those duties if the president is unable. The vice president has no other official duties, but I try to keep the vice president informed about decisions I have made so that she will be able to assume her duties in case I am unable to.
The secretary takes meeting minutes. She also needs to have access to those minutes if questions arise. Some chapters give other correspondence and record-keeping duties to the secretary. We have not done that in Sligo before or since I ecamed president.
The treasurer is responsible for collecting, depositing, and keeping track of the chapter’s funds, and distributing them to people or organizations as the chapter designates. The treasurer acts at the authorization of the president.
The board assists the president in running the chapter between meetings. We have varied in how often the board has met and what the board has done. In recent years the board has helped make decisions about fundraising, but the board has also begun the planning of seminars and other activities.
There are two offices not listed in our constitution but appointed by the president that I would like to note, because they are important for members to know about. We have a membership chairperson, who is Jeff Baer. When a new person comes to the chapter and expresses interest in membership, either Jeff or I collect their contact information. One or possibly both of us will keep in contact with them. We may also ask another chapter member to mentor them if we think a chapter member shares common interests with them. When they become a member, the membership chairperson enters their name in the membership module so that they are nationally recognized as a new member.
Because we have a chapter listserv, we need a list moderator. I am appointing Jeff Baer as that person because he has access to the list on more than one device.
We have a few activities coming up:
October 10: In—person chapter meeting at Long Branch Library, 8800 Garland Avenue, Silver Spring.
October 18: Book club meeting with members of the NFB of Maryland on Maryland Zoom link, where we will discuss Andrew Leland’s book Country of the Blind.
October 24: In-person affiliate board meeting at Pikesville Doubletree.
November 14: Virtual chapter meeting at 11:00 at which we will hold elections.
November 14: Bidding for Opportunity dinner and auction for the John T. McCraw scholarship fund.
See you on Saturday.
Debbie
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://nfbnet.org/pipermail/md-sligo_nfbnet.org/attachments/20261004/0d10f5dd/attachment.htm>
More information about the MD-Sligo
mailing list