[Mdabs] fw: seeking participants to evaluate new access technologies

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:59:24 UTC 2012

---- Original Message ------
From: Mollyne Honor <mrhonor at LBPH.LIB.MD.US
Subject: Seeking participants to evaluate new access technologies
Date sent: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:28:31 -0400

The Human-Centered Computing Program at the University of
Maryland Baltimore
County (UMBC) is conducting a research study to evaluate new
access
technologies to improve reading for blind and visually impaired
people.  Our
goal is to improve the usability and accessibility of computers
for people
with a range of abilities.

To that end, we are recruiting participants for our current
research study,
entitled "Evaluating Gesture-Based Access Technologies for People
with
Disabilities." This study will ask you to test out a new
computing device
that uses gestures to improve the accessibility of a mobile
device.  The
study may take place at our research lab on the UMBC campus or at
a location
of your choosing.

For the current study, we are seeking blind and visually impaired
participants.  Specifically, we are seeking participants who have
difficulty
reading standard-sized print documents.

If you are interested in participating in our study or have
further
questions, please contact Dr.  Shaun Kane by phone at
206-923-8306 or by
email at skane at umbc.edu.  Please note that we cannot guarantee
the
confidentiality of email.

To participate in this study, you must be 18 years or older.  You
must also
have the physical dexterity needed to use a computer for
approximately 2
hours.

We encourage people of all genders, ethnicities, and familiarity
levels with
computers to participate.  Remember that it is only the
technology that we
are testing, not you.

This study will take between 1 and 2 hours.  You will receive a
$20 gift card
for completing a one-hour study, or a $30 gift card for
completing a
two-hour study.

Dr.  Shaun Kane
Assistant Professor