[Mdabs] A Victory for Informed Choice: Nathan Clark Wins Battle with DORS

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 22:09:58 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Federationists:

As many of you know, our own Nathan Clark and his family have been engaged
in a struggle with the Maryland Department of Rehabilitative Services (DORS)
for some time now over funding for his training at the Louisiana Center for
the Blind (LCB.) His is a situation which we have experienced previously
with many blind students in Maryland. Nathan, like Lia Palmer and others,
wanted to receive training at one of the NFB centers, all of which are
outside of Maryland. This was his choice and he had the right to make it.
However, DORS wanted instead to send him to Blind Industries and Services of
Maryland (BISM,) which is in-state and would not cost DORS as much. Nathan
complied with all of DORS's guidelines, including taking the required
two-day tour of BISM. When he finished his tour and reported that he still
preferred LCB, however, DORS resisted at every turn. They refused to fund
his training, saying that he could either go to BISM and receive funding or
choose LCB and receive no support from his rehabilitation agency. It was at
this point when Nathan and his mother Darlene got the Federation involved.
They asked our own Sharon Maneki to serve as an advocate for them, which she
did artfully and persuasively. We discussed his case and those of others at
our 2013 convention, letting the director of DORS know that we are prepared
to defend the right of adults to make their own informed decisions and be
supported by the agency which has been called to serve them. Despite all
this, DORS continued to resist and the family, with the help of the NFB of
Maryland, fought back.

I am glad to announce that, after over a year of struggle, this issue has
been resolved. DORS has agreed to pay in full Nathan's tuition for the
Louisiana Center for the Blind's adult training program. Thus, they have
recognized Nathan's right to informed choice and supported him in obtaining
the kind of training he wants to receive. This is a victory not just for
him, but for all of us. DORS, I believe, has heard our message loud and
clear. This agreement shows this to be true. It also shows the power of the
collective action which embodies our Federation. Working together we can and
are getting things done. Nathan and his family have also blazed a trail for
all of Maryland's blind students who proceed him. With this agreement,
students like myself can count on increased support from DORS when we make
our decisions about where we want to get training. If we encounter
resistance, we know we have the Federation to lean on for support. As the
motto of the Louisiana Center for the Blind aptly puts it, "Together, we are
changing what it means to be blind." Congratulations to Nathan and his
family-and, indeed, to all of us-on this important victory.

Sincerely yours,

Chris Nusbaum, Secretary

Maryland Association of Blind Students